Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jackyboyw
    Paypal Negative- HELP!
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    Paypal Negative- HELP! 12th Oct 16 at 1:58 PM
    Hi all,

someone made a 2 BS case's against me on Paypal and i'm negative £750 and i'm worried he is going to do another bringing to me minus £1,000... what are the rules/laws with this as I do not want to pay it and will just stop using Paypal and close my account (If i can)

Do Paypal take the money our my bank? I have no current cards attached to my account currently although I have had before so can they debit the account..

Thanks, any help is appreciated
    Last edited by jackyboyw; 12-10-2016 at 3:00 PM.
Page 1
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackyboyw
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    Based is uk if that helps
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    • 30,244 Posts
    • 35,810 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    Paypal are quite vigorous debt chasers I'm afraid, they will not let it drop and it will cost you more in the end if you add on baliff fees etc

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4449381

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5439801
    Last edited by Browntoa; 12-10-2016 at 2:30 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Flyonthewall
    • By Flyonthewall 12th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    Flyonthewall
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    What are the cases? Someone may be able to help so you don't have to pay or lose your Paypal account.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 57,692 Posts
    • 40,778 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    Hi all,

someone made a 2 BS case's against me on Paypal and i'm not negative £750 and i'm worried he is going to do another bringing to me minus £1,000... what are the rules/laws with this as I do not want to pay it and will just stop using Paypal and close my account (If i can)

Do Paypal take the money our my bank? I have no current cards attached to my account currently although I have had before so can they debit the account..

Thanks, any help is appreciated
    Originally posted by jackyboyw
    For that sort of amount I am assuming you must have full tracking and insurance to a delivery address- so what has gone wrong? Can you please explain exactly what happened, timings, post type etc and also exactly what sort of claim was made.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackyboyw
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    Most are saying that baliffs do not come? I'm getting a lot of mix replies and read loads of threads all with different responses.. I am going to leave it and see what happens. I can pay it if I must.

Some threads say not to worry, some say do!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 57,692 Posts
    • 40,778 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    Most are saying that baliffs do not come? I'm getting a lot of mix replies and read loads of threads all with different responses.. I am going to leave it and see what happens. I can pay it if I must.

Some threads say not to worry, some say do!
    It really depends- if paypal pass the debt on then it can go to bailiffs- so just in case head over to the debt free board here on MSE and find out exactly what a bailiff can and can't do. They actually have very limited powers, so if you are prepared they realistically can do very little.

However, you are of course not going to be able to use ebay/paypal again and any very close relations might also run into issues with paypal if they think they can link you, so again be prepared.

However, it seems very unlikely that you would not be able to invoke seller protection- unless of course you have done something daft or are trying to get away with something, so I would again suggest if you post the issue here we might be able to assist and make this go away.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackyboyw
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    I'm not doing anything daft or anything wrong, the buyer is a !!!!!!!! and has made 2 cases against me to return the items saying they are both fake which are 100% ARE NOT because he does not want them anymore or can't sell them on baring in mind he has had them 3/4 months already. I simply do not want the items back and do not want to refund him I would rather my account stays in negative and he send or keeps the items, I honestly don't care.

I have to money to pay the off the negative balance. I just don't want too.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 7,639 Posts
    • 8,959 Thanks
    patman99
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    Jackyboyw, you are not answering the questions you are being asked.

If you divulge further details about why the person has submitted a paypal claimback then we might be able to assist you in sorting this mess out and possibly getting your money back from this geezer.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £617.00 / £1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF £194/£3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackyboyw
    I did answer it, the buyer wants the return the items because he does not want them anymore.. by opening a claim and telling Paypal they are fake he is returning them therefore leaving me negative as he has won the claim even though they are legit items..

I don't even know if I can appeal the claim as the item is real he has told Paypal its fake even though he knows it's real, I cannot prove it and Paypal always sides with the buyer it seems
    • patman99
    • By patman99 12th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 7,639 Posts
    • 8,959 Thanks
    patman99
    Ahhh, right. The buyer purchased item/s from you 3 - 4 months back, but as he can't sell them, has decided to be really petty and start a Paypal claim.

I would say (as would any Court) that that time period is way to long to expect a refund.

My course of action would be -
    1. Pay the Paypal balance.
    2. Send him a 'letter before action' demanding payment for the goods (plus any expenses incurred).
    3. If he refuses, visit MCOL and start a claim against him.
    If the items were fake then he would have to get full proof of this.

Also, most folks when receiving what they think are fake items will get them checked-out and, if fake, start a reclaim within days and not months.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £617.00 / £1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF £194/£3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • Flyonthewall
    • By Flyonthewall 12th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    Flyonthewall
    Ahhh, right. The buyer purchased item/s from you 3 - 4 months back, but as he can't sell them, has decided to be really petty and start a Paypal claim.

I would say (as would any Court) that that time period is way to long to expect a refund.

My course of action would be -
    1. Pay the Paypal balance.
    2. Send him a 'letter before action' demanding payment for the goods (plus any expenses incurred).
    3. If he refuses, visit MCOL and start a claim against him.
    If the items were fake then he would have to get full proof of this.

Also, most folks when receiving what they think are fake items will get them checked-out and, if fake, start a reclaim within days and not months.
    Originally posted by patman99
    You have 180 days to open a Paypal case. It's what you agree to when signing up to Paypal.

I'm not doing anything daft or anything wrong, the buyer is a !!!!!!!! and has made 2 cases against me to return the items saying they are both fake which are 100% ARE NOT because he does not want them anymore or can't sell them on baring in mind he has had them 3/4 months already. I simply do not want the items back and do not want to refund him I would rather my account stays in negative and he send or keeps the items, I honestly don't care.

I think the buyer has to prove the items are fake. Something they won't be able to do if they're not. Not sure how they won by just saying they're fake. Did you respond at all?

If you have any receipts proving where you bought them you could have uploaded them to the case.

You could try phoning Paypal and see what they say. Provide any proof you have.
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackyboyw
    Yeah he did make a claim for no reason... Issue is I really don't want the items back as it took me long enough to sell anyway, so having to take them back and refund him because he doesn't want them anymore is very very annoying and you can see why I don't want to pay this debt.

This is another scenario selling an item to someone (not for me, a friend in a similar situation). The buyer in the US didn't collect the items from the post office maybe had to pay a customs fee and didn't want too. He is threatening to open claim because he hasn't got the item and it's on it way back to him but he still doesn't have it after months of waiting he is reluctant to refund as is am worried he will not get the item. This was for £300.. his account will go into negative but has not cards linked to his account is this the same situation as mine? What can he do as the buyer will more than likely win the case again.

Thanks, sorry for being off topic although it relates
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackyboyw
    And no proof its legit. It's probably 3rd hand 20 years old so no receipt.
    And the buyer always wins, even if they can prove it or not. It seems they always win,

anyone know anything about appeals how that works? I once appealed for an item I bought but didn't receive he had proof he posted it but was returned to the sender... he won the case at first and I wasn't refunded but I appealed and got my money back and his account didn't go into minus
    Last edited by jackyboyw; 12-10-2016 at 4:59 PM.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 9,686 Posts
    • 6,504 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    And no proof its legit. It's probably 3rd hand
    How do you know it is legit?
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackyboyw
    I just do, he also knows it's legit.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Oct 16, 6:59 PM
    • 23,281 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    If a debt collector sees that you are unemployed and have nothing to your name then they may give up. Seen it on "can't pay, take it away" he lived in a single room with a TV that was approx 40 years old, a tiny table with one chair. He had nothing of value and not working.

But if your working and have assets then they can chase you for upto 6 years. Accidently sending letters to neighbours and calling you at work in the hope it forces your hand. The older it gets the further down the food chain it goes.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • jackyboyw
    • By jackyboyw 12th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackyboyw
    So it's not really worth the risk? PayPal can help me just as much..
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 12th Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    micky2phones

Hi, many years ago i brought some DVDs of E-bay, them brought the box set, so put the single DVDs back on E-bay to sell.

They then told me they were fake and i couldnt sell them, like you i knew they wasnt fakes. They wouldnt have it or agree they sold them to me. Sorry thats not much help to you.

I do hope you get things sorted
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 9,686 Posts
    • 6,504 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I just do, he also knows it's legit.
    Put yourself in a buyers situation, or perhaps in court. You 'just know'. How?

And how do you know 'he' knows? Who is 'he'?

You can't just take your own opinion and expand it to fact. It doesn't work that way, as you have found out.

If you can try to sort out the case/chargeback you will be better placed. Comments like "I just do, he also knows it's legit" are not going to do it.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter