Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Markb06
    • By Markb06 12th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 360Posts
    • 186Thanks
    Markb06
    Cabot and court letter
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    Cabot and court letter 12th Oct 16 at 1:38 PM
    Hi,

My partner has just received a letter from Northampton County Court Business Centre.

The Claimant is Cabot Financial (UK) Limited and a solicitors by the name of Mortimer Clarke Solicitors LTD in West Sussex are also listed.

The original debtor is Vanquis and makes reference to a date of 10/08/09 when a credit card was issued and payments was not made.

My partner who had some debt then started to work with a debt management plan and she was paying £125 a month to help pay this and other debts off. By 2015 she had £3200 in her DMP and they said to stop paying as she had enough to cover all debts.

Fast forward to March 2016 and we had a letter saying her DMP had closed down and they had made no payments. She lost the money she had sent them and still had these debts.

Today the letter arrived.

I believe the DMP made some payments to Vanquis within 6 years so it can't be declared statute barred.

What are our options?

We are prepared to pay monthly but only about £30-£40 as thats what we can afford.

The debt is for £752.03

Any help would be great.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 8,408 Posts
    • 8,230 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    Fill in and return the court forms promptly.

Acknowledge service online, that gives you extra time, 28 days in total i believe.
    If you don't dispute the debt, then fill in the admittance section, there should also be an income/expenditure section to fill in.

Unfortunately lots of people get caught out by fee taking debt management companies who then go bust and disappear with all your money.

If they went insolvent, there's little you can do to recover the money I'm afraid.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    Hi Markb06,

It is so sad when this happens to people who have tried so hard to clear their debts and are now back at square one. Hopefully, you can perceiver with this.

If you have claim forms and a response pack, and no defence, then the acknowledgement of service may not be suitable as that is typically used to extend time for a defence. The admission form should've reached the creditor within 19days of the issue date (14day response time plus 5 days for postage). This forms allows you to do a budget and make an offer based on affordability. The court will then set what they think is fair and it's unlikely you will need to go to court at all.

If, however, you have received notice of a CCJ that has already been entered and you missed the original paperwork, you can still offer instalments, but you will need to do a variation application. That is an N245 and can cost up to £50. If you can clarify what the letter says, I am sure there is more guidance people can give.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,895Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin