Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ismail1980
    • By ismail1980 12th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ismail1980
    Not able to give HMRC the document
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    Not able to give HMRC the document 12th Oct 16 at 12:35 PM
    Hi everyone
    What happens when you put estimated figures in self assessment form because you can not get the documents to provide exact figures? What HMRC will do in this case when you are not able to provide required documents?
    Thanks for advice
Page 1
    • uknick
    • By uknick 12th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    uknick
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    What figures/documents are you talking about?
    • ismail1980
    • By ismail1980 12th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ismail1980
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    Income and expenditure figures. I am 90% confident of this estimated figures but can not produce documents (receipts) to back it up. What HMRC will do if I do not have those documents?
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 12th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    • 8,148 Posts
    • 14,203 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    Income and expenditure figures. I am 90% confident of this estimated figures but can not produce documents (receipts) to back it up. What HMRC will do if I do not have those documents?
    Originally posted by ismail1980
    Yes, but which documents are missing? Surely you're not saying you've nothing at all? You must have something. You can get copies of documents like bank statements and credit card statements from the bank. You can get copies of major purchase/supplier invoices from whoever sold you the bigger items. If you've bought or sold online, there'll be emails you can use.

If you've really got nothing or very little, HMRC may well just raise an assessment based on what they think you would have earned and without any paperwork to prove otherwise, you've really no option but to pay what they ask. They may also fine you on top as failing to keep proper records is an offence that carries a fine.

You really are best to do whatever it takes to reconstruct your records. Then just fill in whatever gaps are left. Just estimating it all will not end with a happy outcome for you - they could well take you to the cleaners!
    • ismail1980
    • By ismail1980 12th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ismail1980
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    Yes, but which documents are missing? Surely you're not saying you've nothing at all? You must have something. You can get copies of documents like bank statements and credit card statements from the bank. You can get copies of major purchase/supplier invoices from whoever sold you the bigger items. If you've bought or sold online, there'll be emails you can use.

If you've really got nothing or very little, HMRC may well just raise an assessment based on what they think you would have earned and without any paperwork to prove otherwise, you've really no option but to pay what they ask. They may also fine you on top as failing to keep proper records is an offence that carries a fine.

You really are best to do whatever it takes to reconstruct your records. Then just fill in whatever gaps are left. Just estimating it all will not end with a happy outcome for you - they could well take you to the cleaners!
    Originally posted by Pennywise
    Thanks so much for your advice. I had all records in laptop which was destroyed, main supplier is out of business and paypal account is closed because I no longer trade. PayPal said once account is closed records are not accessible.
    • ismail1980
    • By ismail1980 12th Oct 16, 3:10 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ismail1980
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:10 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:10 PM
    Opps I do have some emails left. Thanks
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 15,610 Posts
    • 11,321 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    But of course you will have backed up your data onto at least 2 other devices because it would be irresponsible not to do so with vital business records.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter