Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikesnow
    • By mikesnow 12th Oct 16, 11:52 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mikesnow
    CCJ sent to old address not current
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:52 AM
    CCJ sent to old address not current 12th Oct 16 at 11:52 AM
    Hi All,

I know this question gets asked a lot but I can't find an answer that relates to my specific problem.

I got into financial difficulty in 2013 and decided to give the keys back to the house I owned and also to give my car back to the HP company. I have since recovered and for the first time in a long time living comfortably.

I decided that I wanted to sort out my credit file and track down all the companies that I owe money too from before.

I have 2 CCJs that i know about from 2013 but I discovered a CCJ on my report from just over 1 month ago by a company called Restons Solicitors on behalf of Arrow Group. The CCJ went to an old address however I have moved several times since I originally took the finance out. I informed the finance company of the first address move I made and I have received debt letters from Arrows to my current address. The problem is I haven't kept any of those debt letters, I have previously lived by the "head in the sand" philosophy up until now and through them out when I reviewed them.

I am wondering how best to approach this situation, I would like to clear the debt and get the CCJ removed/set aside because if they had informed me it was going to court I would have taken care of it.

Any help, advice and guidance would be really appreciated.

Regards
    Michael
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 11,015 Posts
    • 7,369 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    A County Court gives you a month to pay before there are adverse consequences. Since this CCJ is just about a month old it might be worth contacting the court and seeing if you can do something about it (you might benefit from a weekend or something...).

Realistically, if you have two other CCJs that were obtained properly then I doubt if a third one will make much difference, so don't worry too much about this one. Anyway, glad that your life is coming back under control...
    • mikesnow
    • By mikesnow 12th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikesnow
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    Hi Voyager,

Thank you for the reply, it was dated 23rd August which makes it about 7 weeks ago which I think is probably too far over a month. The other 2 CCJs will be gone in 2.5 years and all defaults will be gone too so it would be nice not to have this 1 hanging around for 3 more years than that.
    • lewisa
    • By lewisa 12th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    lewisa
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    If paperwork was served to an incorrect address you can apply to have the judgement set aside.

You need to act fast after discovering the error, it doesnt matter if its 5 weeks or 5 years when you discover it, but you have to act fast as you will be questioned by the judge about any delays.

It costs £255 unless you are on certain benefits.

If succesfully set aside, the claimant is then free to serve on the correct address and you have the chance to settle out of court, or within 28 days of a judgement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,108Posts Today

6,202Users online

Martin's Twitter