Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Ziggy#51
    • By Ziggy#51 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Help with early mortgage redemption?
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    Help with early mortgage redemption? 12th Oct 16 at 11:04 AM
    Due to an inheritance which is anticipated during November well be in a position to redeem our mortgage early. Our question is whens the best to time pay it off at the lowest cost to us bearing in mind the following points.
    At present we have a Repayment Mortgage with approx. 66K outstanding over the remaining 6 year term. Were currently on a low rate deal which expires May2017. Our lender has quoted a Redemption figure of 69K including almost 2K Early Repayment Charges (ERC) if we were to redeem now.
    The lender allows 10% no penalty capital repayment per annum which means once weve received the inheritance we could repay 7.3K for this year and around 5.7K early 2017 which reduces the capital significantly but still continue paying until the low rate deal expires May2017 to avoid ERC. We will still of course still be paying the monthly a repayments of 855 which reduces the capital further but also includes a fair amount of interest too.
    So my question is simply would it be more economical to:
    1. Redeem the mortgage immediately on receipt of the inheritance and swallow the ERC which means no further 855 monthly repayments or outstanding mortgage.
    2. Continue paying 855pm plus the 2x10% annual no penalty capital reductions then redeem after the low rate expiry date which will mean 6-more months @ 855 but a much lower sum to redeem in May 2017.
    This may seem a straightforward question but firstly the lender wont quote any further in advance than 30 days & the way lenders do their calculations make it too complicated to understand their final figures so what is the least costly option?
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 50,499 Posts
    • 42,251 Thanks
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    What's the interest rate you are paying?
    A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against a rainy day.
    • Ziggy#51
    • By Ziggy#51 12th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    Early Redemtion & Interest Rates
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    Low interest rate deal is currently 2.19% which expires May 2107 then reverting to whatever rate maybe applicable then but was 4.74% when taking out the low interest deal.
    • SavingSteve
    • By SavingSteve 12th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    Should be simple maths. What interest, after tax, can you earn on the amount not being paid in (i.e. assume you already pay up to the 10%). From that number deduct the interest (note interest, not the full repayment amount) you would pay on the mortgage. That is the cost to you of keeping the mortgage.

Compare that amount to the ERC to determine which you are better off with.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 25,845 Posts
    • 15,592 Thanks
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    With a 2.19% rate most likely you will be better of waiting.

even without any payments the interest between now and May is <1000

with a 7k overpayment in Nov Nov-May max interest is <800

another overpayment in Jan then crunch the new ERC against the interest til may.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,829Posts Today

6,381Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin