Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poor country girl
    • By poor country girl 12th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 80Thanks
    poor country girl
    General advice on a purchase 0% credit card
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    General advice on a purchase 0% credit card 12th Oct 16 at 10:57 AM
    Hi there

I'm just after some general advice on a 0% purchase credit card. I have made it to 45 yoa without ever having a credit card, however my bathroom is in dire need of a complete overhaul and I don't have the money saved up to pay for it. I'm trying to avoid hefty interest on a loan (it's taken us 10 years to pay for double glazing!) and I read on MMT that a credit card may be the way to go.

I did the soft check and it came out at 90% positive with Sainsburys 27 month card coming top. (I've not checked my credit score but i've never missed any payments on other types of credit and have never been refused credit so far)

What I want to know is - do you think this is a good way to proceed? and if so, how much credit am I likely to get? It's not worth it if I only get £500 or something when I may need around £4000 - or, can you suggest a better way of funding this? I have worked out the monthly repayments on the 27 month option and this is within my means.

Many thanks in anticipation!

PCG
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 9,321 Posts
    • 9,144 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    If the supplier accepts credit cards, then it's a good way to do it. You credit limit will be determined by your credit history, existing balances and limits and income, and the risk appetite of the lender. They don't use your credit score.

We can't tell you what you will get, but prime 0% cards generally come with decent limits. You're more likely to be rejected than get a £500 limit.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    will you be able to pay with credit card? you can buy supplies with a card but many tradespeople won't accept payment by card
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 12th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    Assuming the tradespeople you hire don't accept credit cards as payment, have a look at money transfer cards instead:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cut-loan-overdraft-costs

MBNA would be your best bet and they usually give high limits.
    • poor country girl
    • By poor country girl 12th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    poor country girl
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    I'm hoping to go to a kitchen company that do the whole package, including ripping out the old and fitting the new. there a re a few companys around here, so I need to go and have a reckie, get some quotes and see how they take payments - then if alls well apply for the card, then if I get appoved and enough credit go ahead.

Thanks
    PCG
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,077Posts Today

5,380Users online

Martin's Twitter