Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snow_queen
    • By snow_queen 12th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 133Posts
    • 3Thanks
    snow_queen
    simple pension for self employed help?
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    simple pension for self employed help? 12th Oct 16 at 10:56 AM
    Hi I am a registered childminder and want to start paying into a pension. I am 41.

Ive been using hargreaves but dont like all the investing stuff I just want a simple pension but one where the governement tops up? or does the government top them all up?

can anyone help please? im totally confuddled!

Thanks xx
    Thank you
Page 1
    • atush
    • By atush 12th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 15,327 Posts
    • 9,209 Thanks
    atush
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    The govt tops them ALL up, and ALL of them include " all the investing stuff " as the money within pensions is invested.

You dont want cash in your pension (unless you are coming up to retirement maybe) but you dont have to get too involved at this point.

Use a global tracker or a lifestyle fund (look at the Thread on Vanguard) that invests in multiple assets- not just equities.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 85,144 Posts
    • 50,155 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    If you want to reduce the work with a pension then use a stakeholder pension. It will still have investment funds but typically around only a dozen. It wont be the best option or the cheapest but it is the simplest.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 19,212 Posts
    • 10,924 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    Do you mean that you already contributing to a SIPP with HL?
    • snow_queen
    • By snow_queen 12th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    snow_queen
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    yes I am xx
    Thank you
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 12th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    Unfortunately "investing" is the only way to build up enough money for a reasonable pension, "saving" for a pension doesn't work because savings rates are so dire.

Given your age, you have time to invest in the stockmarket. One of the Vanguard LifeStrategy funds would be a simple choice of investment and should, over time, produce the sort of return you need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,690Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter