Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pioneer31
    • By pioneer31 12th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 303Posts
    • 15Thanks
    pioneer31
    Insurenace Claim Amount question
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    Insurenace Claim Amount question 12th Oct 16 at 10:51 AM
    I'm shopping around for cheaper insurance using the comparison sites. I had an accident 3 yrs ago which was my fault and I keep being asked for the "claim amount"

I know what my insurance paid out to me (£4000) and I also remember the company telling me that the *total* claim was. It was an insane figure as it comprised of 2 cars and bogus injury claims.

Is the latter figure the one that I should be using?
Page 1
    • straighttalker
    • By straighttalker 12th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    straighttalker
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    I think it should be the total amount paid to you in addition to the third party.
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 12th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    As said the total amount is the relevant one, your insurance company should be able to remind you of the amount.. My son had a similar incident, 2 cars written off and some whiplash and when we done some dummy quotes it made little difference until he put £70,000 as the total then most companies declined to quote "due to his driving history". turned out to be in the £20K region and although his then insurer raised the renewal significantly, with some shopping around he renewed for a similar price to the previous year.
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    You don't have to put an amount as there's a box for not known.
    • pioneer31
    • By pioneer31 12th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    pioneer31
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    I've just rung my insurance for the actual figure and they say that they can't give it to me, as the claim is still open, although they anticipate it will be wrapped up soon

I am flabbergasted. The accident took place 11 days short of 3 years ago.

Apparently of the 3 claimants in the other vehicle, one is a minor and it's dragging on and on. This was a relatively low speed crash.

So I asked for a ballpark figure but they declined as they don't want me to give an incorrect figure to another insurer.

So it looks like I'm going to get some high quotes if I can't provide an actual figure or stay with the current ripoff merchants
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

2,213Users online

Martin's Twitter