Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • laingn
    • By laingn 12th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 38Thanks
    laingn
    HMRC/Employer RTI Issue
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    HMRC/Employer RTI Issue 12th Oct 16 at 10:33 AM
    Hi All,

I'm at a loss of what to do and looking for some help.

I have 2 jobs and have done for many years. My first job is full time been employed for 10 years and never had any issues earnings end of 2015/16 £22700. My 2nd job again been there for years earned approx £850 end of 15/16.

My second job advised last week my tax code had changed from OT to S68T which I was immediate thinking something is wrong. Today I have logged into my gateway account with HMRC it shows no earnings from my main employer and there was last pay in May 2015 of £169.00 . The panic set in.

I have phoned payroll and they say it goes on Real Time information monthly to HMRC and phone HMRC which I have done and they said they have the report but there are no figures on it. I advised that this is wrong as I earn over £22000 a year with main employer.

Payroll have advised they have sent the figures to HMRC, HMRC say they dont have the figures and to go to payroll.

I dont seem to get any where with either department and am getting concerned.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

thanks

N
Page 1
    • Intoodeep
    • By Intoodeep 12th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    Intoodeep
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    For a start the figures are only updated on the 6th & 20th of the month (I think), so that may be why your figures appear out of date?
    Your new code for the 2nd job looks like it may be correct but without knowing your code on 1st Job, its hard to tell?
    • laingn
    • By laingn 12th Oct 16, 2:23 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    laingn
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:23 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:23 PM
    Hi

My main job tax code is correct at 1100L

My second job has been for as long as I remember OT and is now S68T
    • Intoodeep
    • By Intoodeep 12th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    Intoodeep
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    Hi

My main job tax code is correct at 1100L

My second job has been for as long as I remember OT and is now S68T
    Originally posted by laingn

Wouldn't be too surprised if your code changes for your main job as well, looks like they are splitting your allowances more equally between both your jobs ?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 19,172 Posts
    • 10,887 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    You live in Scotland?

http://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax-basics/what-scottish-rate-income-tax/how-does-scottish-rate-income-tax-work

http://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/employed/how-do-i-check-my-coding-notice

HMRC should be able to explain what has happened.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/complain-to-hm-revenue-and-customs
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 12th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    Today I have logged into my gateway account with HMRC it shows no earnings from my main employer and there was last pay in May 2015 of £169.00 . The panic set in.

But confusing. Who paid the £169.00? Main or second job? Was this correct for May (looks like second job as way too low for main job)

What are you looking at on government gateway and can you post screenshot?

None of what's happened should stop the HMRC issuing corrected tax codes which you would be happy with and this should be your first step to get this right before worrying about anything else.

If what you say is correct then every time you are paid by second job you could be building up a tax debt
    Last edited by Dazed and confused; 12-10-2016 at 8:42 PM.
    • laingn
    • By laingn 13th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    laingn
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    Hi All

Thanks for your replies

I have finally got to the bottom of the issue. I have complaint to HR and they have discovered that HMRC are using the wrong reference for my file. The reference that they are using is to do with election duty pay that I got in May 2015 which was paid with my main salary. They have now updated the file to reflect the correct code that they already had and after I explained my concerns said it looks like I am going to have under paid tax on my second job.

The lovely girl at HMRC said if you want to question it here is the address to write to and they will look at it and perhaps the tax under payment will be written off as I can see where the issues have arisen from.

What a nightmare.

Thanks for all your help.

Natasha
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,126Users online

Martin's Twitter