Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AmyAlex
    • By AmyAlex 12th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AmyAlex
    Guarantee of newly fitted kitchen and bathroom
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    Guarantee of newly fitted kitchen and bathroom 12th Oct 16 at 10:20 AM
    We are in the process of purchasing a flat which has a new kitchen and bathrooms fitted which is reflected in the price of our accepted offer.

What protection/guarantee do we have in regards to this if it started to fall apart stop working etc?

Any advise on sources that may help in this query would be greatly appreciated.

We want to find out that if things were to go wrong if there is any sort of come back on the vendor or it will just be our responsibilty.

Thank you for any advise
Page 1
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 12th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    We had a B&Q kitchen fitted in the house we sold and it had a guarantee which I believe transferred to the new owners when we sold it. If they have used a similar business there will be a written guarantee I would guess.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 610 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    I would expect any appliances to come with a guarantee, but it would be unusual for a guarantee to be provided for the work that has been carried out.

It is up to you as the purchaser to satisfy yourself that the installation has been carried out to an acceptable standard.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    • 3,860 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    What protection/guarantee do we have in regards to this if it started to fall apart stop working etc?
    Originally posted by AmyAlex
    In general, you have no guarantee about the condition of anything. That's why many people ask a surveyor (and/or other professionals) to report on the condition of the property.

You can ask the seller if the kitchen/bathroom came with any transferable guarantee.

If they did, read the terms of the guarantee to see if it's any good, and make a judgement on the trustworthiness of the company making the guarantee. (For example, if the company goes bust, the guarantee is likely to be worthless.)

But I wouldn't get too hung up about this.
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 12th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    I would expect any appliances to come with a guarantee, but it would be unusual for a guarantee to be provided for the work that has been carried out.

It is up to you as the purchaser to satisfy yourself that the installation has been carried out to an acceptable standard.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    B&Q guarantee the works for 5 years.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 610 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    B&Q guarantee the works for 5 years.
    Originally posted by Chanes
    Which is fine if B & Q were responsible for the work in the property the OP wishes to buy.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    Originally posted by AmyAlex
    Realistically though, what are the chances of this actually happening? How many kitchens or bathrooms have you had that have suddenly and without warning blown up, fallen apart, ceased working?

If you're worried about it, I suggest you also take out alien abduction insurance, as that might happen too.....
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 11:52 AM
    • 37,092 Posts
    • 41,049 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:52 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:52 AM
    Sale of Goods Act 1979 S14

and

Consumer Rights Act 2015

and

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

Last edited by G_M; 12-10-2016 at 11:58 AM.
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 12th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    Which is fine if B & Q were responsible for the work in the property the OP wishes to buy.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    I am just pointing out it is not unusual, as you said. I think they are the biggest kitchen fitters in the country. I am jealous of those folks who can do all that kind of thing; they don't have to rely on guarantees at all and must save themselves thousands!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,364Posts Today

6,013Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin