Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • me55iah
    • By me55iah 12th Oct 16, 10:04 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    me55iah
    cellar idea's
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:04 AM
    cellar idea's 12th Oct 16 at 10:04 AM
    hi just a quick thought. wondered if it will be sufficient.

i wish to use my cellar as a storage/workshop and so this is my plan

the cellar itself is reasonably dry with little ventilation ( 3 air bricks at pavement level outside) and the original concrete floor that has no dpm installed only has small damp areas against 2 internal walls.

im installing a new concrete floor with a dpm, but i dont intend to tank the walls, instead im going to build a room within the cellar with a treated batten to raise the floor and basically a stud partition 6" from the cellar walls the outside of which i will cover with tyvek house wrap for a moisture barrier then insulation and plaster board inside.

im assuming this would be sufficient to provide a damp free room inside the cellar???

any thoughts.???

should i vent the created room directly to the outside or would ceiling vents upto the floor above be required?

my other consideration as a backup was to install a sump pump.
Page 1
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 12th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    If I were going to all that effort I would probably tank the walls and floor with a plastic membrane, install a sump (with pump or drain depending on your circumstances) and then put a floor screed down before framing the walls and boarding them out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter