Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ljs2306
    • By ljs2306 12th Oct 16, 10:04 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ljs2306
    hit by stolen car advice please
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:04 AM
    hit by stolen car advice please 12th Oct 16 at 10:04 AM
    on Monday night my parked car was hit by a stolen car which police were chasing mine is almost certainly write off I was just after advice as to where I stand with insurance claim
Page 2
    • straighttalker
    • By straighttalker 13th Oct 16, 12:44 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    straighttalker
    Yes a road traffic collision which occurred between the OP's parked vehicle and a stolen vehicle. The stolen vehicle was negligently driven into collision with the OP's vehicle. The claim should be directed to the insurers of the stolen vehicle or alternatively the MIB.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 13th Oct 16, 12:50 AM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    Are you police or pursuit trained? No.
    Originally posted by Fat Walt
    Actually I was - and trained to avoid incidents involving members of the public, so would not have carried out tactical contact in the vicinity of parked vehicles.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 13th Oct 16, 1:03 AM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    Why don't you google a road traffic collision.

If you're struggling post back and I'll help you.
    Originally posted by Fat Walt
    You are confusing what is a road traffic collision and the liability of drivers involved in that collision. There is no dispute that a road traffic collision occured and that under the circumstances described, a police vehicle was involved in that collision.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 13th Oct 16, 8:06 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Getting back to the OPs question, if the driver of the stolen car was identified by the police and the car was insured then the insurers of the stolen car will settle your claim under their road traffic act obligations. They may then try and recover the losses from the driver but that is up to them.

If the driver of the stolen car was not identified or the stolen car was not insured it would technically be a matter for the MIB. I say technically because the MIB rules will require you to claim from your own comprehensive policy and then claim any losses not covered on the policy such as excess or loss of use from the MIB.
    • ljs2306
    • By ljs2306 13th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ljs2306
    the driver was arrested by the police at the time my insurers have the police crime number I have however found in tiny print that I'm covered by uninsured driver promise so providing they get the car details and driver details my no claims should be ok and wont have to pay excess just keeping fingers crossed !!!
    • phill99
    • By phill99 13th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 7,605 Posts
    • 6,837 Thanks
    phill99
    Don't you just love barrack room lawyers?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter