Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stranger12
    • By stranger12 12th Oct 16, 9:26 AM
    • 399Posts
    • 13Thanks
    stranger12
    changing job
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:26 AM
    changing job 12th Oct 16 at 9:26 AM
    Hi Guys,

I was in my last job for 1 year and previous one for few years and now in the new one for few weeks.

It isn't the kind of business I want to stay in and remember when having interviewes one of the questions was why are you moving ?
    That is when I was at my old place for 6 month plus

being here few weeks will make matters worse.
    how do you normally deal with it ?

thanks
    Aram
Page 1
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 12th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    YouAsked
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    Hi Guys,

It isn't the kind of business I want to stay in
    Originally posted by stranger12
    Business - as in the place you work? Or business as in industry/sector?

Those questions around "why do you want to leave current role" are stupid and encourage bland, meaningless answers but if they *insist* on asking at an interview then I would tailor to the job you've applied for rather than the job you're leaving if that makes sense? So "I can see that X company is a market leader in ABC and its expansion plans are really interesting". There's nothing to be gained from saying "because my boss is awful and I hate my colleagues".

If they *specifically* say "why do you want to move on after x weeks" then again, try to be forward looking/generic " there is quite a high turnover of staff (if true of course) and I am looking forward to somewhere I can build working relationships and see myself being part of the company's long term success" but unless they raise that very specific question, I would entirely focus on the mutually beneficial opportunities offered by you and the new company joining forces
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    I don't think I would be satisfied with that sort of answer if someone had only a few weeks in their current job and only 12 months in the previous one. And I'd be asking a lot of questions about the OP's answer, as to why they are in it at all if it isn't the sort of business they want to be in!

OP - why was your last job only 12 weeks and why are you unhappy with your current business? The best answer is always as close to the truth as possible without criticising the last employer, and being positive as possible about it!
    • stranger12
    • By stranger12 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    stranger12
    it is the place of work.

it is due to turn over and I like your second paragraph
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 12th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    Can you explain a bit more what that means? Why exactly did you leave your last job? And what is wrong with your place of work / turnover now? If I know I can probably give you some hints as to what would work for me.
    • stranger12
    • By stranger12 12th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    stranger12
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    last job , high staff turnover and also so much pressure.

here seems like last job and quite a high turnover with no valid reason
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 12th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    Well I would always avoid saying anything about pressure - it makes it sound like you jump ship every time the job gets hard! Before these jobs how long did you stay there and why did you decide to leave?
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 12th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    YouAsked
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    OK so did this job AND the previous job come with too much pressure?

Because maybe that level of pressure is commensurate with that type of role and if that is the case, changing company isn't going to solve anything? And quite rightly if you are going to a similar role, a potential employer would be concerned, but also you need to have concern for yourself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

552Posts Today

3,585Users online

Martin's Twitter