Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elljay
    • By elljay 12th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 676Posts
    • 521Thanks
    elljay
    IPA and income drop
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    IPA and income drop 12th Oct 16 at 9:24 AM
    Dear all, I have been paying an IPA for about 2 years so have around 1 year to go. However my income will shortly drop to less than the amount of expenses I have been allowed. I will wait until this happens before telling C-W so that I have evidence to show them, but can anyone predict what is likely to happen? Do they stop the IPA completely?

I am quite concerned about this as I have some pretty hefty expenses that the OR knows about but can't include in the calculations (caring for elderly parent from afar, incl travel expenses) and have been paying these from savings in other areas. I'm really going to struggle to pay for everything now. I would like to get another job which will be worth doing if the IPA is cancelled but possibly not if I have to continue under IPA rules for another year. I need to balance work with being available to visit parent when needed in addition to regular monthly visits which at present I can with my home-working jobs. As a pensioner the rest of my income is from state and work pensions.

If anyone has any advice I would be really pleased to hear. Thank you

EJ
Page 1
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 12th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 13,715 Posts
    • 29,790 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    You will have to submit a new SoA when you have a change in income. This will be assesed and if there is no surplus the IPA will be suspended. The suspended months count towards your 36 months. So the IPA won't be stopped and started up again it will just trundle along at 0 until the end or if you have a change in circumstances again.

Hope that makes sense.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • elljay
    • By elljay 12th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    elljay
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    Thank you. Yes that makes perfect sense. So would that mean that I would still have to declare if I got another job and have to pay it out again, if within the next year? Not sure it would be worth getting another £50 a month job in that case though the £50 would be a huge help to me if I could only keep it.

I was rather hoping the IPA would be cancelled completely, putting me in the position of people who have never had an IPA from the beginning.

Thanks again - it does seem hard though Oh well!

EJ
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 12th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    Hi yes you would still have to notify if your income increases during the 36 month period..and another S.O.A done, so not much point in earning more...try to wait until the 36 months are over.
    • Mollie_Guinness15
    • By Mollie_Guinness15 12th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Mollie_Guinness15
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    Yes, I contacted C-W after my first child was born due to the additional expense and the IPA was suspended for a few moths until I got a pay rise which I declared, of course and the IPA value changed from nil to a small monthly amount. On the whole C-W seem to be pretty reasonable when dealing with these fluctuations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

3,729Users online

Martin's Twitter