Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shagzdan
    • By shagzdan 12th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 63Posts
    • 13Thanks
    shagzdan
    Have we got a new typist?
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    Have we got a new typist? 12th Oct 16 at 8:54 AM
    I just wanted to ask if anybody else has noticed the dropping of words on the main site.

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that words are being dropped from articles and from the perspective of somebody who reads internal dialogue such as I do, I find it a bit shall we say, annoying.

So the main sentences would be something like, " If you've assets such as a house, savings or a business, and people you'd like to look after when you're gone, consider a will.

Taken from todays email link.

The word after you've should surely be got, this is not the first instance, words like we've .... has also popped up.

Now I know not everybody will be affected by this niggle, but we don't all talk like northern types!

:-)
    Last edited by shagzdan; 12-10-2016 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Added grammer Lol
Page 1
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 12th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 5,405 Thanks
    Peter333
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    I haven't looked or noticed, but that does sound quite funny.
    As of 25th October 2016, I am not participating in this site. Until MSE sorts out the issue with insidious trouble-makers, it's no longer a place I wish to be. I can't be bothered with the constant battle with trolls.

MSE is not a nice place to be at the moment, and hasn't been for a while now. So I'm outta here for the foreseeable future.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 12th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,873 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    Sounds perfectly normal to me, a contraction of "if you have" which does not require "got". In fact with "got" it sounds clunky.

"The word after you've should surely be got, this is not the first instance, words like we've .... have also popped up."

Fixed that for you.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 12,958 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    Using "you've" does make it harder to read. No idea why they didn't just leave it as "you have"

To read "If you have assets such as a house, savings or a business..."

I fear that writing English is not going to be a strong point of many young people moving forward.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 12th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    Interesting. I'd say it it like that but it does look funny written down! I wouldn't write it like that myself, but I don't think it's wrong as such - just unusual.
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,294Posts Today

6,541Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted to see the House of Lords taking up to cudgels to fight the disgraceful retrospective hike in student loa? https://t.co/buXWSlgXoj

• RT @politicshome: Cabinet splits on foreign students re-emerge as Amber Rudd admits there are 'differing views' https://t.co/XYivypL5Cc htt?

• For me capping the number of legitimate foreign Uni students is a mistake. Its one of our strong exports & boosts UK soft power around world

• Follow Martin