Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fuzzythinking
    • By Fuzzythinking 12th Oct 16, 7:10 AM
    • 177Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Fuzzythinking
    Landlord - Inspection routine & Repair
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:10 AM
    Landlord - Inspection routine & Repair 12th Oct 16 at 7:10 AM
    Hello

I am currently tenant and I need to know what right the landlord have to access my rent house for routine inspection and repairs in my absence when he sends me a letter or text me a few days before?

Fuzzythinking
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Oct 16, 7:19 AM
    • 12,052 Posts
    • 11,476 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:19 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:19 AM
    Hello

I am currently tenant and I need to know what right the landlord have to access my rent house for routine inspection and repairs in my absence when he sends me a letter or text me a few days before?

Fuzzythinking
    Originally posted by Fuzzythinking
    It's complicated, ultimately you can physically stop access by changing the locks.

It's safer for the LL to not enter when the tenant declines an inspection too ( where did that gold ring / £200 in cash / iPad go?)
    • anselld
    • By anselld 12th Oct 16, 7:20 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,324 Thanks
    anselld
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:20 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:20 AM
    L is entitled to access with 24 hours notice in writing. Text doesn't really cut it.

You can deny access or request a more convenient time but if you make it too difficult how do you expect repairs to be done?
    • Fuzzythinking
    • By Fuzzythinking 12th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Fuzzythinking
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    L is entitled to access with 24 hours notice in writing. Text doesn't really cut it.

You can deny access or request a more convenient time but if you make it too difficult how do you expect repairs to be done?
    Originally posted by anselld
    Does the landlord have the right to carry out the repair in my absence?

Fuzzythinking
    • anselld
    • By anselld 12th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,324 Thanks
    anselld
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    Does the landlord have the right to carry out the repair in my absence?

Fuzzythinking
    If he has served notice and you have not denied access then yes.

Why don't you just tell us what actually happened ?
    Last edited by anselld; 12-10-2016 at 7:55 AM.
    • Fuzzythinking
    • By Fuzzythinking 12th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Fuzzythinking
    I admitted that I do not feel comfortable the landlord and his engineers to do routine inspection and repair in my absence. I had to turn them a few times and am I risking anything?
    • anselld
    • By anselld 12th Oct 16, 8:00 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,324 Thanks
    anselld
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:00 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:00 AM
    I admitted that I do not feel comfortable the landlord and his engineers to do routine inspection and repair in my absence. I had to turn them a few times and am I risking anything?
    Yes you are risking eviction in due course.

You need to reach some arrangement for a convenient time to get the repairs done. If you want to be there you might need to take time off work etc, just the same as an owner/occupier would for trades access.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 12,052 Posts
    • 11,476 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    Yes you are risking eviction in due course.

You need to reach some arrangement for a convenient time to get the repairs done. If you want to be there you might need to take time off work etc, just the same as an owner/occupier would for trades access.
    Originally posted by anselld
    I think this could be open to interpretation.

Some repairs are Ofcourse totally necessary. Others are cosmetic. Has the OP raised an issue which needs addressing?

Some LLs - one of my friends LLs comes to mind. Wanted access on a weekly basis was cosmetic jobs.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 12th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,324 Thanks
    anselld
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    I think this could be open to interpretation.

Some repairs are Ofcourse totally necessary. Others are cosmetic. Has the OP raised an issue which needs addressing?

Some LLs - one of my friends LLs comes to mind. Wanted access on a weekly basis was cosmetic jobs.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    A fair point, the system does rely on reasonableness on both sides.

However, the risk remains the same even for your friend if they fail to reach a mutually agreed level of access.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 12th Oct 16, 8:25 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Inspections may well be part of tenancy agreement. Landlords are obliged to do gas inspection annually, maybe they could combine this for an inspection date?
    • Fuzzythinking
    • By Fuzzythinking 12th Oct 16, 8:46 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Fuzzythinking
    Please confirm that the landlord has no power to access my rent house in my presence or absence without my approval?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Oct 16, 8:50 AM
    • 8,873 Posts
    • 11,889 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Please confirm that the landlord has no power to access my rent house in my presence or absence without my approval?
    What does your tenancy agreement say about access for inspections and repairs?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 12th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    That's somewhat true because the catch is that you have given your approval through a term of your tenancy that gives your landlord the right to access the property for inspection and repairs upon 24 hour notice in writing.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 12th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    That is correct although you may have already given your approval when you agreed the original tenancy contract.

I can also confirm that (at the end of the presumably normal six month tenancy) the landlord has the power to give you notice terminating the contract and beginning the process of evicting you, again without your approval.

Amazon Prime Customer?
    Don't forget to cancel your automatic renewal unless you are happy with the price hike to £79 a year!
    • anselld
    • By anselld 12th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,324 Thanks
    anselld
    If you wish that to be true you should change the locks.
    Otherwise, it is answered above.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 2:03 PM
    • 37,092 Posts
    • 41,049 Thanks
    G_M
    What does it say in your Tenancy Agreement?

You signed the TA so you agreed to whatever is written within it.

Additionally the landlord has a duty by law to access the property for certain reasons (annual gas inspection, repairs the law obliges him to complete etc), so provided he gives you written notice of these occassions he has that right.

Like many tenants you seem concerned about the LL/contractors having access in your absence. The solution is to discuss a date/time when you can be there. This involves compromise on both sides (eg you canot insist on weekends because contractors don't work at weekends (except for very high rates!).
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 12th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 14,349 Posts
    • 36,530 Thanks
    FBaby
    Is that for an inspection or repair? If repair, is it relating to something you've reported? It's about being reasonable. if you report a problem, but then can't be available before 5pm every day and week-ends, it is going to be a problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,211Posts Today

6,523Users online

Martin's Twitter