Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Oct 16, 5:09 AM
    • 1,913Posts
    • 23,722Thanks
    Coxy11
    O/S Daily Wednesday 12th October
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 12th October 12th Oct 16 at 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Thread Wednesday 12th October

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
Page 2
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 12th Oct 16, 11:06 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    Hi,

I'm new (although I used to read these boards years back) I hope no-one minds me joining in, I decided yesterday that I want to get back on track with our finances and go back to my OS ways. Around the time I had kids, I seemed to lose track of our finances completely. I really need some like-minded people to help me get on track.

My day yesterday was OK – made a frittata for lunch using up veg which was a little past its best, whereas normally I’d have gone for an easier option. I also sold an item on eBay. It only worked out about £2.50 profit after fees and postage but better than nothing. Unfortunately on the flip side, I’ve had to refund someone £12 this morning after they claimed the item hadn’t turned up. I now have to go through the hassle of claiming money back through Royal Mail.

This morning DD spilled her breakfast over my jeans, which highlighted how few clothes I have, as I only have one pair and all my skirts are quite summery. I’m currently wearing leggings, but I’m freezing and that’s whilst being indoors with the heating on, so I guess we are staying indoors until my jeans are dried! Think I’ll search eBay for a replacement pair and if not, maybe try the charity shops tomorrow.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 8,870 Posts
    • 96,623 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Welcome KitKatMum pull up a chair, grab a cuppa and make yourself at home.
    I'm struggling with the cold mornings, not being able to wear tights or trousers, I just need to acclimatise to being cold again.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    I always wear floor-length dresses or skirts, and I have legwarmers, too. Like you, I can't wear trousers or tights; can't even wear stockings, as the nylon causes me problems - and as you probably know, I always go barefoot at home, no matter the weather, because anything on my feet hurts so damn much.

I'd hoped to get a few tasks done today, but I'm still feeling really grotty from taking Gabapentin, so having a rest day today (well, doing online surveys, but at least I'm lying on the sofa to do them). I have to be a bit more with-it by Friday, as Jack will be here for his fortnight's stay.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 12th Oct 16, 1:49 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Slowly57
    I'd hoped to get a few tasks done today, but I'm still feeling really grotty from taking Gabapentin, so having a rest day today (well, doing online surveys, but at least I'm lying on the sofa to do them). I have to be a bit more with-it by Friday, as Jack will be here for his fortnight's stay.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    oooh feel better soon LameWolf - it seems to be a week for folks feeling grotty - lets have
    and boo to feeling
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • Cafekate
    • By Cafekate 12th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    Cafekate
    Hugs to you all.
    Been reading but not posting as RL is a bit rubbish here to say the least. Hubble has been asked to stay till the end of October which although means he will be paid it does make job hunting very awkward. Scarily he is happy which is concerning me. Have to fill in my form for Employment Support Allowance again which is about 30 pages long and always get called for assessment and always end up going to tribunal and winning appeal but is very stressful. Also my Grandma doesn't have long left to live and I got summoned to say goodbye to her. That was really hard , I think she recognised my voice. She's 96 but is suffering from dementia.

Had a nice barge trip last week with my friends all of whom have some disability. Monday was Womens Institute , pie supper and a interesting talk on local myths and legends which was done by my dad. Yesterday went to my favourite cafe. Today I've been ill so have spent most of the day in bed.

Jackie O how lovely to have a Christmas wedding to look forward to.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 7,328 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Hello KitKatMum!

I'm really cold, arrived home early from work and nobody home, I'd forgotten my keys. Phoned DS and he was shopping for batteries about 10 mins drive away with OH. They said they'd be about a quarter of an hour. Famous last words. I had to sit on the step and my bum is numb.

Sorry to hear that Cafe Kate and Lame Wolf are poorly and Dumpling I hope your tooth feels better.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 23,722 Thanks
    Coxy11
    I now have a full blown cold but in other news.......DS1 passed his driving test today he has gone out in the car by himself and it's feels very odd, oh and we are £700 odd less well off

Welcome kitkatmum x
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 12th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 8,754 Posts
    • 60,964 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Welcome kitkatmum

Coxy get well soon x

Had physio this morning and am in agony tonight, they are blurdy sadists so it isn't going to be a long post.

Just going to watch the programme on Aberfan, it is hard to believe it is 50 years ago, I was 8 and the images from that awful tragedy are imprinted on my mind

Congrats to your DS coxy

BFN xx

Save
    Save
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,352Posts Today

6,710Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin