Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Oct 16, 5:09 AM
    • 1,912Posts
    • 23,708Thanks
    Coxy11
    O/S Daily Wednesday 12th October
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 12th October 12th Oct 16 at 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Thread Wednesday 12th October

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
Page 1
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Oct 16, 5:19 AM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    Coxy11
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:19 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:19 AM
    Morning all, I couldn't sleep as I have a raging sore throat DS1 was complaining of cold symptoms last night and now I've come out in sympathy with him owwwwww! I've decided to have a cuppa to ease the pain.

I'm at knitting group today and will deliver my partridge (as in the 12 knits of Christmas). I also did 12 drummers drumming which I finished in July and it nearly finished me off lol! This will be my last contribution to a project for a while (sob) as I'm not sure I will have the time once the new job starts.
    I'm at the church this afternoon then it's youth club tonight.

I went to Aldi and Asda yesterday, so we are fully stocked up, apart from a bit of fresh veg when this lot runs out. I don't buy Aldi veg as I find it goes off fairly quickly - anyone else have this problem?

Had an HMRC decision letter yesterday saying we are not entitled to anything as DH earns too much based on last years salary. The reason for the claim was he doesn't now have a salary(!) so we have appealed which will take up to 45 days. Absolutely shambolic grrrrr.

Slowly - glad you feel better, migraines are just awful x
    JackieO and elona - I want you BOTH to adopt me - I want cake and soup lol! X
    tru - glad that Donna is finally joining in. I was thinking about her the other day

Hope you all have a great day.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Oct 16, 5:43 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 7,292 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:43 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:43 AM
    Good morning and thank you for starting us off Coxy. Hope you feel better soon. I have the same problem with A*Di veg, Li*L is a bit better usually.

I'm working today but then off until Tuesday as this is my short week and have had to switch my days next week, next week will feel long but that's the way it goes.

Last night's dinner was made by OH and they had Spag bol, I had Spag with grated cheese. Theoretically nice but he's a slow disher upper so the Spag was a bit cold, the cheese did not melt, but it was kind to give me that, instead of a rich meaty sauce.

No idea what kind of day it will be except it is not raining, too dark to see! Well soon be in the month or so when I leave for work in the dark and return in the dark, and I never feel as though I get enough fresh air but think that must be psychological. I am outdoors, just in the dark on the way to and from work. Must take a break and go for a walk in the day.

I hope you all have a good day, take care.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Oct 16, 6:01 AM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 28,364 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:01 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:01 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread Coxy.
    I didn't manage to post yesterday even though I was up from 4am.
    Work today then over to DD1's to give her a hand, tomorrow I'm babysitting for DD2 as it's parents evening for 2 of hers.
    I'm struggling with the cold mornings, not being able to wear tights or trousers, I just need to acclimatise to being cold again.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Oct 16, 6:34 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 33,381 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:34 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:34 AM
    Morning All

Chilly and dark here, haven't looked in the washing basket, will do that tonight. Yesterday was a bit drizzly at times but not proper rain, just a bit damp.

I was treated to a meal and the cinema last night, good meal, terrible film but friends choice. Didn't get home until about 11.30 so will be tired later, I usually go to bed about 10 and read for a while.

I'm up for adoption by anyone!

Have a good day. Take care. XX
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Oct 16, 7:06 AM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 24,609 Thanks
    Gers
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:06 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:06 AM
    Morning everyone.

The promised sun didn't appear yesterday. Neither did the promised insulation installation, instead an assessor to survey the house and loft, insulation now booked for Monday morning.

Today I will be having a quiet time. It's been too hectic for the past week.

Happy Wednesday to all.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Oct 16, 7:09 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 33,445 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:09 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:09 AM
    Morning everyone

Coxy - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday for those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work early, DS1 up and gone to work, DS2 now moving about.

Now getting light, rain spots on the window but air doesn't feel as chilly as it has been.

Dinner last night was just me and the boys - DH went straight to his meeting from work. I'm very pleased with myself as I was tempted to stop off en route home and buy something for our dinner, but instead I came home and decided I'd use 1 x onion, red pepper, carrots and broc - all that would have been thrown away - chopped it all up, cooked 2 x packets of veg rice (from the store cupboard) and chopped up the LO sausages stir fried the lot, added some soy sauce and it made a lovely sausage and veg stir fried rice dish - there was enough for all 3 of us. I also remembered to get the chicken portions out of the fridge for tonight - I'll use use the other LO veg etc and do some extras if needed tonight. I'm working all day - with this afternoon being the extra hours, I'm then on days' off until Monday - have all the normal "to do" list.

I've been keeping track of the spends - this Friday is the start of the last week of my month - will be shopping with £79 - it's a lot compared to what some people have, but I'm going to need to be inventive with that, our household is 4 adults, 3 of which are men, all 3 have big appetites and love their food - I have the added problem that they want meat/fish at every meal, that's where it's expensive, but I do my best and majority of the time it works out - I've become much more assertive and they get what they're given - eat it or go without!

Work yesterday wasn't as busy but steady - had an awful case with a husband and wife sobbing on the desk - really difficult situation and I don't know all the details - pleased I don't Child protection, social services and Police were involved. I don't think they got the answer from us they were hoping for - needed 5 minutes away from the desk and a coffee after they left. They may be back today - we'll see.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-10-2016 at 7:11 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Oct 16, 7:14 AM
    • 6,120 Posts
    • 84,323 Thanks
    redruby
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:14 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:14 AM
    Morning all,

Cooler here again but too dark to see what the weather is doing, off to work for me today and for once we actually have a full team in, we wont know ourselves and might get a lunch break

Off to mums for dinner tonight not sure what she is cooking but it will be lovely, I must remember to pick up some material she has for me, years ago in the 60's my dad bought some Harris Tweed to have a suit made sadly he never got round to it its a huge piece of material so mum has given my sister and I half each, I am going to have a footstall and cushions made with my bit for the lounge I have found a chap who will make it for me so just need to get the material to him.

Need to do a wash tonight and hoover through.

Have good days all.

PS im up for adoption too as long as I can bring my mum
    • tru
    • By tru 12th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 8,341 Posts
    • 39,570 Thanks
    tru
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    Morning

LameWolf Love the game station

Hope you feel better soon Coxy x
    I've been trying to get a decent photo of Donna but she spends all her time zooming around, all photos so far are blurry action shots

Well my day didn't go to plan yesterday, my mum turned up and stayed for ages. I didn't get all the shopping put away til nearly teatime and my crochet is still in the basket, untouched.

I need to de-fur the carpets this morning and do some washing, then I have some work to do.

The pumpkin plant had grown through the fence a bit, into the chicken run. A pumpkin starting growing, I thought the chickens would eat it but they didn't. It's quite big, I have no idea how the weight of it didn't break the fence (chicken wire). Yesterday one of the girls managed to peck through the skin then they all joined in with the feast

The horrifying moment when you're looking for an adult but then you realise that you are an adult
    So you look for an older adult, someone successfully adulting
    An adultier adult
    • lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 12th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 2,600 Thanks
    lonewhitewolf
    Morning all x
    Quick visit today as I'm running late
    Hope everyone is doing ok X
    Will try and pop back later
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone, thanks for the thread Coxy, hope you feel better soon x

Another lovely day with Mum yesterday, together with my SIL and DN we made a Victoria sponge, cheese and fruit scones so plenty of goodies for her mini tea party. It was just perfect us all being in the kitchen together, chatting whilst we cooked and another memory to store away. DM very much enjoyed seeing her pals and catching up on all the news from her village though we could have done without the list of her acquaintances that had passed away, guess we are all just hypersensitive at the moment!

Am having a day at home today, chores to catch up and want to spend time with Bill as didn't see him yesterday at all.

Hugs nmlc, must be hard to deal with cases like that in any capacity x
    Ha Tru, love the pumpkin eating, speedy chooks

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 12th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 13,704 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

I am actually wearing a jumper this morning as it is a bit chilly. I don't want to put the heating on yet but I have plenty of warm clothes to wear. It's quite a sunny morning here and the girls have just left for school. I have shopping coming in an hour or so and then once it is put away I am going back to bed as I am not very well.

I have ordered some breaded chicken in with the shop so that is going to be dinner with some chips and beans. I don't know what I am going to have yet as my face is very sore with a bad tooth causing me lots of pain.

I am quite exhausted really after last weeks activities and my therapy on Monday was very very difficult for me. I think I just need to recover from all that and then I will feel a lot better.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 12th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    Slowly57
    Hey All

Thanks Coxy - I'm right as rain now, thanks - hope the sore throat improves soon - lots of drinks/boiled sweets to keep everything soothed and two paracetamol hun xx

Hester - longer/maxi skirts keep you draft-free and you can wear anything you like under them - for around the house I have a HM underskirt (made from a bit of thin fleece fabric off the market - it's basically a tube with an elasticated top - also you could just tack it onto a waist slip if sewing isn't your thing). Looks quite dreadful, but under a longer skirt who cares I'm toasty lol.

Hugs/positivity and xxxxx's to all who want them. To those in a dark place - sending a virtual flask of soup and a head-torch to you - keep on going xxxx
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Oct 16, 9:12 AM
    • 13,892 Posts
    • 108,378 Thanks
    JackieO
    Coxy hope you feel better soon cake and soup are medically proven to make anyone feel better
    Today its a bit more overcast and a bit damp at the moment but fingers crossed it may brighten up later.

This afternoon I have my U3A monthly meeting which I always enjoy I believe our speaker is an ex-detective from the local police force who is giving a talk about his experiences, should be interesting

Just going to have some porridge for a late breakfast as I have just done my morning mile, and am in need of warming up
    <<hugs>> to those who are feeling down and sad and to the poorlies I hope you feel better soon.

Mid-week already where does the time fly to I wonder

Have a good day chums what ever you are doing

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 NSD today
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 7,121 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Goooooooooood morning one and all,

Grey clouds with rain in the distance, won't be long till it reaches here.

Yesterday was another NSD day which is good. Went to the gym after work and then home for a nice and healthy omelette. I spent the evening chilling out, not terribly productive but I do enjoy time on my own. Mind you our internet was playing up and it was super frustrating. What would we do without it eh?!

Today isn't too different from yesterday. Work then the gym then home to make dinner for my GF coming home. Grilled tuna steak - yummy!

Coxy - The HMRC situation sounds frustrating, hope the appeal goes in your favour.
    Redruby - Lovely thought for using the material.

Oh! Almost forgot! I think it was Gers who made me aware of it (apologies if not) but I made poached eggs and bacon this morning using the cling film technique - perfection!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 10,531 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning. ((((((((((Hugs))))))))))if you need one. Sorry I was awol yesterday, we had a busy day with hospital appointments. I had a pacemaker check, they were not happy so have to go back next month before I see the cardiologist. OH had an appointment to get the decision about the growth on his thymus gland. The surgeons were not prepared to try and do a biopsy, paticularly as I had said I was not happy having it done. For once they listened, the fact that I had a nursing background helped. I have to keep a watching brief, if I am at all concerned, or he exhibits symptoms I have to ring and make an appointment for him to be seen. Knowing OH as I do, his age and general condition made me extremely uncomfortable with the thought of him having the procedure. My own health is not brilliant and my pacemaker showed the stress I had been under when he was in hospital this last time. He is 83 and I know he would not cope well with the procedure.

Sunny morning, we have visitors for afternoon tea, I made and froze scones at the weekend so will defrost, warm and butter them.

I had two epic fails with bread, so chucked out the yeast, bought new yesterday, will have another go today, if it's the same will be chucking the bread maker out. I have had it 7 years, so it does not owe me anything. Will have to go onto shop bread for a while whilst I save up for another one. I can no longer make bread by hand.
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 12th Oct 16, 9:40 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    looks like we had rain last night and there is a definite chill in the air
    dog has been walked and tea made just having a few mins to myself as DS is in bed I picked him up from Luton airport yesterday and i have never seen somewhere so disorganised and expensive £7 for 40 mins parking that starts the min you try to find a space then a bit of a trek to the terminal
    I need to get our finances in check as DH seems to talk a good talk but then asks for £70 for a xmas do and £90 for a rugby ticket does anyone else have this sort of trouble?
    Right pasta n sauce for dinner and crumble for pud
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 12th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    Slowly57
    I had two epic fails with bread, so chucked out the yeast, bought new yesterday, will have another go today, if it's the same will be chucking the bread maker out. I have had it 7 years, so it does not owe me anything. Will have to go onto shop bread for a while whilst I save up for another one. I can no longer make bread by hand.
    Originally posted by csarina2
    Ohhh csarina2- don't chuck the breadmaker yet! You can maybe still use it if it has a dough function? All it usually needs is taking out/final prove/cooking. Might be worth doing until you can source a new one (loads in our charity shops at the mo)? I cook mine in greased up and floured Pyrex - so no need for a bread tin even!

Have you tried no knead bread? You don't need a cast-iron dish lol
    http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2014/01/artisan-bread.html

Hope life is a little less stressful today - you take good care of yourself OK?
    Last edited by Slowly57; 12-10-2016 at 9:59 AM. Reason: UK recipe
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 24,609 Thanks
    Gers
    Oh! Almost forgot! I think it was Gers who made me aware of it (apologies if not) but I made poached eggs and bacon this morning using the cling film technique - perfection!
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead

Happy to help! I love it too.
    • elona
    • By elona 12th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 10,574 Posts
    • 53,338 Thanks
    elona
    nmlc

When I wanted to feed the picky family cheaply I used to make the larger yorkies and fill them with home made stew with lots of veg.

I did the same trick with pastry to make pies and lots of mash and veg on the side.

Home made soup and crusty bread as a starter was a good filler upper too. I now have a soup maker which saves me ages standing over a hob and in the last week have made at least four different soups.

Have you ever tried Homity pie? It is a Cranks recipe and pastry filled with diced up cooked potato, onions and grated cheese with a little milk to bind the filling together and then baked. You can either make small ones or a couple of huge ones that look more "manly". I find things like lasagne ,cottage pie or meat and potato pie in a huge dish looks more impressive and filling. I put tomatoes, onions, grated carrot, a handful of red lentils, diced mushrooms or courgette or peppers in everything I can.

I sometimes cheat and have frozen chopped onions, carrots, peas,mushrooms, peppers and spinach in a freezer.

Have you tried ham and potato casserole? Thinly sliced potatoes and onions layered with chopped bacon and covered in a cheese sauce and shaken so the whole thing has sauce on and in it. It takes a couple of hours but is very filling with some veg on the side but still has some meat there.

I have been taking advantage of the offers from musclefood and got a 35 item hamper free when I bought 2 and a half kilos of chicken breast.

After taking a wash load in and out of the line three times yesterday I finally got it hung out again this morning. Middle dd came round last night and I did two loads of laundry for her and put them on airers overnight for her to collect at the weekend.

After a massive cooking session yesterday I have some carrot and coriander soup, chicken in a tomato, peppers, mushrooms and onion sauce and also meatballs in a similar sauce in the fridge for me and dd took home a portion of each to freeze for when she is busy.

dumpling

How about soup or an omelette for your sore throat and mouth?

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

4,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin