Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 12th Oct 16, 4:33 AM
    • 1,200Posts
    • 443Thanks
    Balance reporting
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:33 AM
    Balance reporting 12th Oct 16 at 4:33 AM
    I have a question regarding the 'balance' amount shown at the top of the columns in credit card reporting. This is in relation to Experian credit reports.
    I understand that previous balance is the balance of the last statement.
    Payment amount is self explanatory.
    But the balances at the top don't really correspond to anything. On my main credit card, paid by full balance direct debit, they appear to be quite close to the actual balance just prior to the payment due date, but do not actually correspond to the after update balance on any one specific day and also appear to refer to the statement period ahead of the statement balance and payment being reported in the same column. Could anybody tell me how these 'balances' are arrived at?
    I spend about 2k per-month on this card and these balances are showing me as having a balance every month approx. 2k higher than it really should be (i.e. the balance is being reported as 4k).
    Am I being penalised by paying by full balance direct debit because it appears that if I ceased to pay by direct debit but instead made a manual payment of the full balance a couple of days before the payment due date, I could reduce the reported balance by about 2k each month.
    Is this why charge cards give a shorter payment period and some credit cards take full balance direct debits earlier than non-full balance direct debits?
    Could anybody explain this?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 12-10-2016 at 4:49 AM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Superb and chilling piece on #newsnight right now, animated reading from someone under ISIS rule in Mosul

• In my view that's a usually a mistake see my

• Does anyone know when we get US election results - ie is it a watch it overnight on morning of 9nov or watch the next day, or is it days?

• Follow Martin