Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honey4
    • By Honey4 12th Oct 16, 1:15 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Honey4
    0 WOW
    Ticket refund
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Ticket refund 12th Oct 16 at 1:15 AM
    Hi,

I recently bought family tickets to the US using ebookers. Two weeks from our departure date my son found out he had to return to his 6th form classes earlier than expected. We contacted the agents to discuss the situation and we were told our tickets had certain restrictions which meant we could change the dates. We were advised by the agents to cancel my son's ticket. but we would only receive just over a £100 for what was £750 ticket. We contacted the carrier, United Airlines to see whether they could do anything about this and we were told nothing could be done at their end as we had not bought the tickets directly from the airline. After having spoken with the travel agents, we decided not to cancel the ticket but to use the additional seat for extra space for my husband.

When we got to the United Airlines checkin, we found out that they were offering £300 and an alternative flight date to anyone willing to give up their seat as the plane was fully booked. We spoke with the airlines about the issue with our son not being able to fly with us. United airlines refused to give us the extra seat for my husband (even though this was all part of a family group booking), did not offer us the option to change it but instead, cancelled my son's ticket and resold it on the day for a higher price to customers waiting to get on the flight.

United airlines then told us to get in touch with the travel agents to see if we could get any refund.

Has anyone had an experience of dealing with such a situation? Your advice would be much appreciated as I'm trying to glean as much information before I submit a formal complaint to the airlines/ agents and their respective regulators.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Oct 16, 2:57 AM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:57 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:57 AM
    we were told our tickets had certain restrictions which meant we could change the dates.
    Originally posted by Honey4
    Have you omitted the word 'not' (change), or is there a reason for you not to have changed the dates?

The seat booked by any passenger who does not check in for a flight is not available as a empty seat for others in the party, for any airline.

Is there any way that eBookers or the airline have violated the T&Cs of your booking that would justify the formal complaint that you are considering?
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 12th Oct 16, 4:34 AM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:34 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:34 AM
    If your son was there to see you off at the airport, there could have been a different outcome. At least the £300 rebate, as he could have checked in for his flight, even if he didn't intend to fly.

The other thing is that buying via a travel agent adds a extra set of rules to the ticket that you are purchasing. It pays to be aware of exactly what those are before you click the purchase button.

In short, you have no claim against airline or travel agent.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 12th Oct 16, 6:49 AM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 6,526 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:49 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:49 AM
    we decided not to cancel the ticket but to use the additional seat for extra space for my husband.
    Originally posted by Honey4
    that is not how airline seating works. When a seat is booked for a specific passenger and that passenger does not board the flight (even if they had checked in online) they are offloaded as a no-show and they forfeit the seat.
    There are some exceptions where airlines will sell you a second seat for a large musical instrument or for an oversize passenger but there is a specific way these must be booked.
    I don't see any complaint here. Your son had a non flexible ticket, did not turn up at airport so does not qualify for compensation. Refund will be based on the ticket rules which would generally be airline taxes less any admin fees applied by the airline and the agent
    • Westin
    • By Westin 12th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    Westin
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    I can imagine how annoying it must seem that after trying to cancel and recover some of the cost of your son's ticket, you find that at the airport they are looking for volunteer offloads who are then financially rewarded.

Unfortunately, as others have said, you have no recourse from the airline or agent. The 'free' seat you had hoped for would have been released at check-in closure and the airline can do as they please with it.

Your agent has also done no wrong here and has it would seem followed and relayed information from the airline. I know often the advice is to book via the airline direct but in this case the agent has done no wrong. Your outcome would be the same.

Again, I can feel your frustration. It must seem that the airport offer to others of involuntary denied boarding compensation is like salt being rubbed into a wound.

At best I think you can claim back the APD on your son's ticket. If over 16 that is £73. United are however well known to drag their feet on such claims. They may even charge an admin fee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,382Posts Today

5,980Users online

Martin's Twitter