Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 12th Oct 16, 12:05 AM
    • 784Posts
    • 15,552Thanks
    Keeping in a Store cupboard
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:05 AM
    Keeping in a Store cupboard 12th Oct 16 at 12:05 AM
    Hiya All

Having just moved house I have used up my previous store cupboard and am creating a new one and I am aiming NOT to have loads of stuff lurking and not getting used but to have stuff in which is not freezer reliant in case I cannot get out for some reason.

Today I have found that ASDA do UHT milk in pints!!! Yea!! been looking for that for ages. Yes, its 52p but I think it is better than dried IMO.

But also on my list/in my cupboard is:

Kidney beans
    canellni beans
    chick peas
    butter beans
    canned fruit

Dried goods
    green lentils
    red lentils
    pearl barley
    pastas (including dried torellini)

green tea
    real coffee
    drinking chocolate
    UHT milk

too many herbs and spices to mention!!!
    What would anyone had to this??

PS why not relying on frezzer ??? In case the electric stops working as is being promised/scare mongered - depending whom you believe but I do remember the 70s!!
    Lets see what we come up with!!
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
Page 2
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 134,110 Thanks
    Sainsbugs do a jar of GARLIC GRANULES for £1 and also ONION GRANULES for the same price. I've always got several jars in store along with my herbs and spices to carry over those times when we're poorly or the weather is rotten and the fresh stores get used up. Useful alternatives that keep for a very long time.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 34,727 Thanks
    If you have an Asian store near you, they sell jars of garlic puree (and also garlic and ginger puree) very cheaply. The garlic and ginger is perfect for stir fries
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 14th Oct 16, 12:00 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    Things I hadnt thought of!
    Hiya All

Thanks so much for your contributions! Porridge!! Of course!! Love it in winter! Ta Jackie O

But HOW could I miss chocolate - Maryb tho I agree with kathrynha it never lasts long in my house!!

Sosomix - my mum was veggie and she loved it!! Makes very good 'mock' burgers but she loved it best made into a 'sausage plait' with puff pastry!!

Will defo add these to my store-cupboard!!

Yep thinking about not having a functioning Freezer - a lot of us would not have functioning stoves as a lot of the gas ones rely on a electric safety systems!!

My friend, who has an all electric house has a camping stove, as she too remembers the 70s when the electric got cut off - she also has an open fire!
    But she also has a very stuffed store-cupboard!
    Any more thoughts welcome!
    Perhaps self catering stores??
    Nite all
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • elona
    • By elona 14th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 10,453 Posts
    • 52,168 Thanks
    Hot water bottles, Kelly kettle or kettle that will work on a gas stove.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

3,055Users online

Martin's Twitter