Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Insolventnonentity
    • By Insolventnonentity 11th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Insolventnonentity
    Time Line For Sale of Property
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    Time Line For Sale of Property 11th Oct 16 at 11:59 PM
    I cannot seem to find an approximate timeline for the process of selling a property once an offer is accepted. I know there is considerable variation based on circumstances so can someone please guide me?

I have just accepted an offer on my property and both the buyer and I have instructed solicitors. There is no chain, I have no mortgage and the buyer is a cash buyer. I have all documentation that is requested by the solicitors and property is sold without any conditions. How long before exchange of contracts? How long before completion?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    • 37,015 Posts
    • 40,940 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    Between a week and 6 months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1522929061/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=l po-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1444790633&pf_rd_m=A3P5 ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=QZGYSYQTXX5J66CXG72P
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Oct 16, 12:11 AM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:11 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:11 AM
    I'd amend that to between a week and never.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 20,779 Posts
    • 83,662 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Agreed. Around 30% of sales never complete.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe

Indeed.

We are on our 2nd "potential" purchase in as many months.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Oct 16, 1:50 PM
    • 8,230 Posts
    • 9,979 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:50 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:50 PM
    Average is 12 weeks. As above, take it with a very large pinch of salt. One in three falls through too, just to add to the mix.

Jx
    2016 wins: ESPA gift set; jumper; lip balm x 2; kitchen scales; perfume; shoes; theatre tickets; Champagne; books; After Eights; Diet Coke; Molton Brown duo; fish slice; travel set
    • Insolventnonentity
    • By Insolventnonentity 12th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Insolventnonentity
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    Hi,
    Never is fine by me if buyer withdraws before contract is signed. However, how can it be as quick as 1 week?

The buyer wants the place ASAP. What can I do to get to contract faster? What is an average time to get to contract when there are no chains/mortgages involved ?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 20,779 Posts
    • 83,662 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    Hi,
    The buyer wants the place ASAP. What can I do to get to contract faster?
    Originally posted by Insolventnonentity
    One thing people can do is make sure all their paperwork is in order. Things like the absence of a council sign-offs for an extension can create a major delay, or even just a lack of a FENSA certificate for some replaced windows may create an unnecessary blip.

Our vendor wanted a fast sale, but forgot she'd altered the vehicular access, so what was on the ground didn't match with the title plan. A deed of variation had to be drawn up with a neighbour. Luckily, the neighbour used the same firm of solicitors.

Oh, and the written deeds were self-contradictory, although my solicitor was, apparently, the first to notice since they were drawn-up in 1974. That was sorted out too and we completed on time, in 12 weeks exactly.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 37,015 Posts
    • 40,940 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    Hi,
    Never is fine by me if buyer withdraws before contract is signed. However, how can it be as quick as 1 week?

The buyer wants the place ASAP. What can I do to get to contract faster? What is an average time to get to contract when there are no chains/mortgages involved ?
    Originally posted by Insolventnonentity
    Cash buyer / developer.

Not bothering with survey. Not concerned about searches.

Day 1 - Sellers solicitor draws up contract on , emails to buyer's solicitor.
    Day 2 - Buyer visits solicitor and approves contract
    Days 1-3 - Buyer's solicitor checks Title (no existing mortgage)
    Day 4 - Conracts Exchanged and same day Completion.

There you go!
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 13th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 7,325 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    Not bothering with survey. Not concerned about searches.
    Local searches can take anything from 2 days to 6 weeks depending on where the property is.

Seller's solicitor should supply a Property Information Form which the seller should have completed. Such forms are often full of inconsistenceis and half completed information.

No point asking about any of this because there a magic fairy that will find the sellers and wreak vengeance on them if there is anything nasty they haven't really told you about (but which could be found by a bit of questioning) - NOT!!!!!

And why bother with a survey? Every buyer knows how to spot a non traditional PRC house like a Reema Hollow Panel or Cornish Unit! AGAIN NOT!!!!!!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,353Users online

Martin's Twitter