Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 11th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    • 2,442Posts
    • 1,248Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Curious - weekend working question
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    Curious - weekend working question 11th Oct 16 at 11:16 PM
    Hi there

If for example you have a weekend working arrangement of 1 in 4 weekends (method for days off being the sandwiched Friday and Monday of weekend worked) - would you expect to work the same fixed weekend each month?

Or do employers say vary each weekend of a month to manage or prevent people trying to book the known fixed weekend to work as holiday.
    Just being nosey how weekend working is managed elsewhere? as it does seem a little messy to not have a set/consistent weekend when everything else is permanent shifts.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Dec 16 This actually turned into a '1 in every 3 weekends' position (and worse) judging by next rota that was issued.
    Last edited by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt; 03-12-2016 at 7:03 PM. Reason: .
    Patience is a necessary ingredient of genius
Page 1
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 12th Oct 16, 12:57 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:57 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:57 AM
    Depends on the job really. Some will do fixed shifts but I know on contracts ive signed they always say it's subject to business needs
    My 3 targets to end 2016:
    1) To get down to 12 stone for 2016. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 21lb lost : 56lbs to go :s
    2) to find a purpose in life work wise and have a new challenge
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Oct 16, 8:06 AM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:06 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:06 AM
    It can't be the same fixed weekend every month. If you are working every 4th weekend, you are working 13 times per year and there are only 12 months.
    I would expect there to be a rota in place in order for all staff to know when they will be expected to work.
    If you contract says you will work every 4th weekend it's obviously straightforward. If it says you will have to work 1 weekend in 4 it's rather different as you could be asked the work the final weekend of one 4 week block, and the first weekend of the next.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 12th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    Its common for weekends to be on a shift rota and therefore known in advance. Its also common to get some employees trying to book off all their weekends. Most companies have rules to prevent, or at least limit this happening. Employee's can be quite creative at getting around the rules and often employers learn from experience and the rules change over time. Where I work it got so bad there is now a draw for the summer holiday bookings.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 2,442 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    Thanks for the responses, calmed down even though I know I was prob being dim! I still marvel at how they would have done the original 1 in 6 weekends! That's enough thinking and my bad presumptuousness of course jumping the gun on our competency to work the all more important weekends!

I got the last weekend of this month awarded to work with the other shifts so kind of brought into that whole being my weekend (but what's been said here makes sense) then I got the second weekend for next month after later seeing an extended pattern into Nov, though another look today seems to have allowed an awful lot of holiday in these early stages (hope I wasn't missing something lol!) before some of us even started so I appreciate now perhaps that has also even contributed to this although the holiday rules certainly in notice required do now seem to have been somewhat firmed up. Best not get started on what happens in December which we'll never close for!!
    (Much less a shock)

Anyway Thanks all x
    Patience is a necessary ingredient of genius
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    Just keep a note of the weekends you work to ensure that you don't get landed with more than you are contracted to do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,126Users online

Martin's Twitter