Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DentalDaz
    • By DentalDaz 11th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 4Thanks
    DentalDaz
    Dental nightmare. What are my best options?
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    Dental nightmare. What are my best options? 11th Oct 16 at 11:13 PM
    Hello.

I'm Daz, My issue is I've never been to a dentist in my life. I've had a life of the wrong foods, fizzy drinks and not brushing my teeth. This has all come down to what you all probably already expect which is a terrible dental nightmare.

I only have two full teeth left in my upper jaw, one right in the middle which stands out a mile when I talk, the rest are black, deseased, broke you name it I have it. I'm ashamed to go out, ashamed to smile which has made me a recluse.

I've been looking at all dental procedures like permamnent dentures, all on four implants and such but I have no money to put to those as right now I'm unemployed because I'm ashamed to go for interviews.

Health wise I'm getting myself back on track now, no fatty foods, no fizzy drinks and such but I will always have this to remind me of a life poorly spent. I know this is all down to me but that wont change the future.

What are my options? Realistically to improve my smile and gain my confidence back again?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Page 1
    • shopaholic2
    • By shopaholic2 12th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    shopaholic2
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    I would say firstly find a local, nhs dentist and get signed up. Then, as you're Unemployed you should qualify for free dental, prescriptions, glasses etc. ( providing you're in england? Scotland and wales you get all the free anyway).
    Then I would imagine the cheapest and best option on the NHS will be full dentures, from what you've said. I'm pretty sure implants would be considered as private work so you'd have to pay for that.
    I'm not a dentist, by the way, but I have experience of dentists, and being someone who lacks confidence due to teeth not being great.
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 12th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Sambella
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    In certain circumstances Dental Implants can be done on the NHS

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/985.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742

Whether you get implants or dentures you will get a massive confidence boost from having a nice smile. go for it !!
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 12th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 8,565 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    Implants will not be provided on the NHS here.

It's hard enough getting them if criteria are met. Simple neglect (Sorry to be blunt - but that's what this is) is not one of the criteria.

Yes - your best option realistically if your teeth are as described would be full dentures.

Having implant supported dentures could well be a possibility in the future (Once you've managed to get a job and save up) if you want something a bit better than that - but the implants would require care and maintenance, and can require just as much work as natural teeth. So cleaning habits would have to be improved, and if you smoke, that would be better off stopping too.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • DentalDaz
    • By DentalDaz 12th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    DentalDaz
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    Hey guys.

Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate them. I think full dentures are probably the best bet after reading what you all have to say. I'm actually still in my early 30's so it's something that I guess I didn't want to face up to having to do really.

I do worry about them falling out when talking or eating though which could be just as embarassing as having no teeth at all ....

You're absolutely right toothsmith. It is neglect and I stand fully on my own in admitting it's all down to my fault and nobody elses.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by DentalDaz; 12-10-2016 at 8:22 PM.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 12th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 16,587 Posts
    • 73,068 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    This tells you about NHS dental charges
    NHS dental charges

If you are on a low income or benefits this gives you information about help with paying dental charges:
    Help with costs

Good luck
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".

In Solidarity: Andy Woodward - Jeremy Corbyn
    Cheap Coffee & Sauce Lover

• McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 34,760 Posts
    • 44,752 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    They dont fall out, honestly . As you have probably gone through the shrinkage already they should fitcwell. For extra mental support a couple of dots of fixative will help. Go for it, once done 0there will beno stopping you . Good luck.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • shopaholic2
    • By shopaholic2 12th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    shopaholic2
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    If the fall out while talking or eating then they no longer fit and you get them re made! But I doubt it would happen, as you can use denture fixative to make double sure. They will take some getting used to but you'll get there and will look better so therefore feel better!
    The biggest hurdle may be finding a dentist taking on NHS patients ....good luck.
    • Janey3
    • By Janey3 12th Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Janey3
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    Go for the dentures, DentalDaz, you won't regret it to have a nice smile and you will no longer be a recluse. They take a bit of getting used to at first but be patient and persevere and they will soon become part of you. Take small bites of food to begin with and as has been said, a few dabs of fixative for extra confidence and don't forget to clean them!

All the best.
    Last edited by Janey3; 12-10-2016 at 10:59 PM.
    • DentalDaz
    • By DentalDaz 12th Oct 16, 11:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    DentalDaz
    Thanks everyone. The positive comments and support really means a lot. I'll go for it! Thanks again.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 14th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 8,565 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    The first set probably will go loose fairly quickly (Within months) as the gum once the root remnants and remaining teeth have been removed, will change shape as they heal. This can often be overcome by relining the denture though, which will firm it up again for a year or two.

Once the gums have achieved a stable shape though, the next set should last you a fair few years.

On average, you'll probably need a new set every 8-10 years, as wear on them, and changing shape of gum will mean that the fit and bite will deteriorate (Even if it doesn't feel to be! Sometimes, patients hang on to a set for longer than is good for them because they still 'feel' comfy. If you hang on to one set for too long, then adapting to a new set when you're forced into it due to continual breakages of a worn out set can be difficult)

If you do want to go for an implant retained set - then don't leave it too many years, as the bone disappearing will make providing implants much harder (and dearer).

But - good luck with it if that's what you decide to go for.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

835Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter