Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nixnix87
    • By nixnix87 11th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    nixnix87
    Property Agent not set up Standing Order Mandate
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    Property Agent not set up Standing Order Mandate 11th Oct 16 at 10:29 PM
    Hi all. I'm new to this so I apologise if I'm doing something wrong here at all. If I am please tell me

I have recently (3weeks ago) moved into a rented property with my partner and a couple of nights ago we sat and I turned to him and said 'did the agency send us a standing order mandate to collect our rent?'......'errrrrr no they didn't'. This is not the first example of terrible service from this agency (am I allowed to name and shame them?) and we already have a case open with The Property Ombudsman over something else...

What I need to understand, is what are our rights as a tenant here? We decided to sit tight and let them grovel to us when they or the landlord realises that no rent has been collected. But is this the right thing to do or could we get ourselves into trouble? We already believe that we should not have to pay any late rent fees as it is not our fault that the rent has not been paid (or rather collected).

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 8,872 Posts
    • 11,889 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    You need to set up the standing order on your account, not the payee. Unless by standing order you mean direct debit although it's unusual for rent to be collected by direct debit.

You are contractually obligated to pay your rent on time. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure the rent is paid so paid it!
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Oct 16, 10:37 PM
    • 37,080 Posts
    • 41,032 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:37 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:37 PM

What I need to understand, is what are our rights as a tenant here?
    Originally posted by nixnix87
    You have no 'rights' here - simply a responsibility.

It is your responsibility, under the terms of your contract, to pay your rent on time ech week/month /whatever.

It s up to you to ensure that rent is oaid on time.

You can walk into the agents office with the cash on rent payment day.

you can post them a cheque (in advance to arrive on time).

You can ask them for bank details and set up a Standing Order, or one-off payment.

your choice. Your responsiblilty.

If you do not, you will be in rent arrears and there will be no excuse.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    You're meant to pay the rent, not just wait for it to be collected. Did they say they would give you a standing order mandate? If you've got their bank details you can do it yourself - or just send the payments manually.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 56,004 Posts
    • 321,784 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's for you to do something. They have to tell you their bank account details, but you contact your bank and say "Hey, pay this each month".

It's your responsibility, as a functioning adult, to find the account details and to get it organised.... else you'll be sitting on the kerb in 6 months saying to each other "didn't expect that...."

• nixnix87
    • By nixnix87 11th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nixnix87
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    From a forum newbie, I'm overwhelmed at the responses received already!

You're all so right. It is OUR responsibility, even though the agency are a bunch of useless cowboys we can't hide behind this and plead ignorance...
    • nixnix87
    • By nixnix87 11th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nixnix87
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    ... else you'll be sitting on the kerb in 6 months saying to each other "didn't expect that...."
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Didn't think of it like that...guess I'll be making some calls in the morning!
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th Oct 16, 10:50 PM
    • 8,872 Posts
    • 11,889 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:50 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:50 PM
    Hell yes it's your responsibility. You signed a legally binding contract saying you'd pay £X rent on a specific date. Im not sure why you are surprised at the advice given.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Oct 16, 11:34 PM
    • 37,080 Posts
    • 41,032 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:34 PM
    Hell yes it's your responsibility. You signed a legally binding contract saying you'd pay £X rent on a specific date. Im not sure why you are surprised at the advice given.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    Yoof! Blessem.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 30,028 Posts
    • 15,964 Thanks
    kingstreet
    To set up a standing order, all you need is the recipient's account number, sort code number and any reference which applies to you or the property.

You set up the standing order with your bank.

You tell your bank who to pay, how much to pay and when to pay. They do so until instructed otherwise.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

6,046Users online

Martin's Twitter