Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 11th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 1,720Posts
    • 5,406Thanks
    Peter333
    Facebook question
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    Facebook question 11th Oct 16 at 10:01 PM
    My eldest son has been locked out his account and he has no idea why.

He has had it for 7 years - the same account, and uses his real name, and has 1000s of photos on there, yet he has gone to log in this afternoon, and got told that he needs to approve his login by sending a copy of a government based id, like his passport or driving licence.

Why? Why has this happened?

He is flat out not prepared to scan his driving licence or passport and send it to some random person across the other side of the planet. How does he even know this is genuine? It could be a spoof/scam...

It says 'there has been an issue with your account -log in on a different computer etc,' but he has tried that, and that didn't work. It just keeps asking him to send official id, something with his full name and address on like a passport, driving licence, or bank statement. As if he is going to send anything like this!

What's happened? Why has this happened?

Advice anyone?
    As of 25th October 2016, I am not participating in this site. Until MSE sorts out the issue with insidious trouble-makers, it's no longer a place I wish to be. I can't be bothered with the constant battle with trolls.

MSE is not a nice place to be at the moment, and hasn't been for a while now. So I'm outta here for the foreseeable future.
Page 1
    • trollopscarletwoman
    • By trollopscarletwoman 11th Oct 16, 10:09 PM
    • 7,572 Posts
    • 9,744 Thanks
    trollopscarletwoman
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:09 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:09 PM

sending a copy of a government based id, like his passport or driving licence.

Why? Why has this happened?

He is flat out not prepared to scan his driving licence or passport and send it to some random person across the other side of the planet. How does he even know this is genuine? It could be a spoof/scam...

It says 'there has been an issue with your account -log in on a different computer etc,' but he has tried that, and that didn't work. It just keeps asking him to send official id, something with his full name and address on like a passport, driving licence, or bank statement. As if he is going to send anything like this!

What's happened? Why has this happened?

Advice anyone?
    Originally posted by Peter333
    I don't have a FB account myself but I certainly would not be sending the kind of ID information that has been requested.
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 11th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    Peter333
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    I don't have a FB account myself but I certainly would not be sending the kind of ID information that has been requested.
    Originally posted by trollopscarletwoman
    Exactly! It seems rather odd to be honest. Why not just send a code to the email address he registered with!
    As of 25th October 2016, I am not participating in this site. Until MSE sorts out the issue with insidious trouble-makers, it's no longer a place I wish to be. I can't be bothered with the constant battle with trolls.

MSE is not a nice place to be at the moment, and hasn't been for a while now. So I'm outta here for the foreseeable future.
    • trollopscarletwoman
    • By trollopscarletwoman 11th Oct 16, 10:13 PM
    • 7,572 Posts
    • 9,744 Thanks
    trollopscarletwoman
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:13 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:13 PM
    However once I do remember getting locked out of my ebay account.

I did send copies of some documents to Ireland.

not the same probably.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Oct 16, 11:04 PM
    • 24,362 Posts
    • 12,833 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:04 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:04 PM
    I have never heard of this before but it sounds dodgy for sure. Dont do what they ask!!! I will have a look to see if there is an email you can contact if you have a problem logging in. I also suggest you do a scan with your security software on your computer.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Oct 16, 11:12 PM
    • 24,362 Posts
    • 12,833 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:12 PM
    I couldn't find anything. Perhaps try logging in on a different device. If you use the website version perhaps install the app on a phone and see if you can log in there. If you do get logged in somewhere I would change your password. And check out your privacy settings. Make sure things like your phone number and email are not set to be publicly viewable.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Oct 16, 12:50 AM
    • 21,283 Posts
    • 81,856 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:50 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:50 AM
    It's usually because they don't think it's the user's real name. There's been complaints about it as that removes the privacy of people who use stage names or don't want to be traced online, such as teachers or police officers.

Does he use a nickname, by any chance?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • TE1979
    • By TE1979 12th Oct 16, 12:56 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TE1979
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:56 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 12:56 AM
    He has an account which a) looks fake b) is fake c) has been used to post inappropriate content. Facebook rolled this out a couple of years ago - and teething problems meant many innocuous people flagged up as a fake. Facebook improved the system, however. If your son has been using a fake profile to cause mischief. Tell him not to send a copy of his ID. If his Facebook is genuine. He has the option of sending his ID or risk losing everything he has posted on there. He has no leg to stand on from a legal point of view. Facebook make the rules - abide by those rules and he won't have any issues.
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 12th Oct 16, 8:30 AM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    Peter333
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:30 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:30 AM
    He has an account which a) looks fake b) is fake c) has been used to post inappropriate content. Facebook rolled this out a couple of years ago - and teething problems meant many innocuous people flagged up as a fake. Facebook improved the system, however. If your son has been using a fake profile to cause mischief. Tell him not to send a copy of his ID. If his Facebook is genuine. He has the option of sending his ID or risk losing everything he has posted on there. He has no leg to stand on from a legal point of view. Facebook make the rules - abide by those rules and he won't have any issues.
    Originally posted by TE1979
    Thanks so much everyone. He has looked into all of these issues, and as I said, he does use his real name, and it's a 'normal' name (eg Paul Jackson.) I know people get questioned if they have a name like Storm Stallone, but his name is normal, and as I said, he has been on it 7 years with no issues. He also uses it maybe 3-4 times a week, and has about 100 friends on there. Also 1000s of photos. (7 years worth!) So there is nothing unusual or weird about it. And he hasn't posted any p0rn on it or anything!

Also though, I should add, he told me this morning, that his computer is virused, and he couldn't get into his twitter either, so he thinks he has been hacked. So it could all be related.

Also, when we googled it, it seems that this happens to many people. And often for no reason. Very odd. I think he's just going to have to make a new FB up, because he said hell will freeze over before he sends them ID over the internet.

Thanks again. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same, and what they had done about it.

• Peter333
    • By Peter333 12th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    Peter333
    I couldn't find anything. Perhaps try logging in on a different device. If you use the website version perhaps install the app on a phone and see if you can log in there. If you do get logged in somewhere I would change your password. And check out your privacy settings. Make sure things like your phone number and email are not set to be publicly viewable.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Thank you. I think he may try later. At work maybe.
    Last edited by Peter333; 12-10-2016 at 8:36 AM.

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Oct 16, 9:15 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Also though, I should add, he told me this morning, that his computer is virused, and he couldn't get into his twitter either, so he thinks he has been hacked. So it could all be related.
    Originally posted by Peter333
    Did it not occur to him that this could be the problem?

He could have been posting p0rn or all sorts as a result of the virus.
    The virus seems to be a much more likely reason as to why he is locked out than anything else.

I'd also be worried about any other accounts that have the same login!

Get him to sort the virus out before doing anything else!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 24,362 Posts
    • 12,833 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    if there is a virus on the computer then that could well be the root of the problem and it should be the first thing to sort out before doing anything else. it could be the virus pretending to be facebook to try and get their details to steal their identity or get bank details and steal cash from the account. if they ever bank online they should check their bank account also.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

2,213Users online

Martin's Twitter