Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 11th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 561Posts
    • 680Thanks
    marcarm
    Working from home + insurance
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    Working from home + insurance 11th Oct 16 at 9:28 PM
    I work from home, with a laptop provided by my company. This laptop does not travel outside of the home apart from the rare occasion I travel to the office.

I have been asked to provide a copy of my cover note for home insurance showing that it is covered. At the time I was asked I was insured by Lloyds so spoke to them to see if it is covered and was told that they would not cover it.

Renewal time now, have done quotes through gocompare and one of the questions is 'Is the property used for business purposes', and the advice says if I work from home and there is no other business conducted here then to tick no.

So it looks as though I am unable to get it covered, then I had the thought that I can't insure it as I have no insurable interest in the laptop. It is not owned or rented to me, and I would have to return it when I leave.

Is this correct that I cannot get it insured and are they asking me something daft? (which would be just like them tbf)

The cheapest policy that came up does include office equipment, but I guess the laptop would not be covered as it is not owned by me.

Surely the company would have a policy that covers their property away from the office?

Any ideas?

Edit: Just reread the letter I was sent and it states to confirm my insurance covers working from home, not the laptop, but the same still applies as when doing the comparison I should tick 'no' to that.
    Last edited by marcarm; 11-10-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Page 1
    • Weighty1
    • By Weighty1 12th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Weighty1
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    This is a genuine question for anyone who knows, but you have no insurable interest in the laptop as it is not yours, so how on earth are you supposed to get insurance for it?

Further to that, if a company was telling me that I had to insure THEIR equipment which could potentially result in you paying a higher premium I'd be telling them it's not my responsibility to do so.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 12th Oct 16, 10:02 AM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    EdGasket
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:02 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:02 AM
    They are more likely worried about you injuring yourself while working at home for the company or their laptop burning down your house with a claim against them. You need to clarify with your company what risk they expect you to cover and why they don't cover it themselves.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 12th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    rs65
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    This is a genuine question for anyone who knows, but you have no insurable interest in the laptop as it is not yours, so how on earth are you supposed to get insurance for it?

Further to that, if a company was telling me that I had to insure THEIR equipment which could potentially result in you paying a higher premium I'd be telling them it's not my responsibility to do so.
    Originally posted by Weighty1
    Insurable interest isn't just about ownership. Responsibility for goods in your care would work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

5,924Users online

Martin's Twitter