Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beansontoastwithcheese
    • By Beansontoastwithcheese 11th Oct 16, 8:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Beansontoastwithcheese
    Landlord wants us to start paying him directly
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:51 PM
    Landlord wants us to start paying him directly 11th Oct 16 at 8:51 PM
    Hello all,

We have been privately renting a house for the last approx 7 years through a letting agency. The landlord lives abroad. The landlord has been quite good on the whole, in terms of getting repairs arranged and so on. Recently, he contacted us directly to ask if we would like to rent from him directly and cut out the letting agency. He said he would be able to reduce the rent cost, and that he would have his mail delivered to this property and we would have to forward it to him.
    The reduced rent sounds good but I don't understand why he'd want his mail directed here, and also whether it's going to be a good idea in the first place to cut out the letting agency. Any thoughts on this. please?

Thank you.

Edit to add: His exact wording was he wants to RE-REGISTER himself here.
    Last edited by Beansontoastwithcheese; 12-10-2016 at 12:40 PM. Reason: To clarify what the landlord said
Page 2
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 12th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    I would love to see the outcome of that court case.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    Can't find it right now, but one of the deposit schemes had a case study in which they wrote that they had previously awarded £700 to a landlord from a tenant's deposit because the tenant failed to forward an important piece of mail in breach of his tenancy.

I think that it is regrettable that many people think that tenants have carte blanche and that every and all tenancy terms are 'unfair' by default.
    The situation is quite the opposite: A tenancy term has to be assumed to stand unless the tenant can demonstrate that it should not.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 15,017 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    molerat
    I very much doubt that a term re general mail and forwarding it overseas would be enforceable. I imagine that in the case above it was an important notice to the owner clearly marked as such that the tenant failed to forward to the UK address for serving notices which could be an enforceable clause.
    Last edited by molerat; 12-10-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 12th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    Can't find it right now, but one of the deposit schemes had a case study in which they wrote that they had previously awarded £700 to a landlord from a tenant's deposit because the tenant failed to forward an important piece of mail in breach of his tenancy.

I think that it is regrettable that many people think that tenants have carte blanche and that every and all tenancy terms are 'unfair' by default.
    The situation is quite the opposite: A tenancy term has to be assumed to stand unless the tenant can demonstrate that it should not.
    Originally posted by Miss Samantha
    Then it is such a shame that every single tenancy agreement I've seen has a clause that the tenant must not change energy supplier, despite it being explicitly allowed by statute. It seems some education is needed on both sides.
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 12th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    Then it is such a shame that every single tenancy agreement I've seen has a clause that the tenant must not change energy supplier, despite it being explicitly allowed by statute.
    Originally posted by Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    You're just confirming what I wrote.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 6,351 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I would love to see the outcome of that court case.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    Me too!

In our case, there was nothing in the agreement and we hadn't actually been asked to forward anything.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 51,224 Posts
    • 43,006 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    With no UK agent. How will any property maintenance be undertaken?

Keep an eye on who the mail is from. Perhaps the mortgage is no longer being paid.
    “A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against ‘a rainy day’.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter