Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SparklesJD
    • By SparklesJD 11th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 95Thanks
    SparklesJD
    Car insurance confusion
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    Car insurance confusion 11th Oct 16 at 8:47 PM
    This time last year I had an car accident. No-one was hurt, thankfully, but my insurer said that it was my fault. A container lorry had broken down before a blind corner on double yellows and I swerved to avoid a car coming out of said corner, scraping against the lorry, but I wasn't able to get details of the other car). Unfortunately it happened just before I renewed my insurance, so I just let it auto-renew, as my postcode makes it really expensive and hard to get insurance anyway, despite 9+ years NCB.

So, fast-forward to last month, I noticed a payment of around £200 had been paid into my bank from my insurer. With tales of insurers cancelling insurance ringing in my ears, I phoned them up and they said that when I'd renewed last year, there'd been an outstanding claim, but that Claims had closed it as a 'no fault' claim, so they'd refunded part of the premium (which had obviously been higher because of the claim). They confirmed that my NCD wasn't affected because it was protected anyway.

I got a letter and a new schedule of insurance, but all it said was that 'with reference to your recent request to amend your policy, we enclose...' so I wasn't any the wiser. My renewal docs say 'No accidents, claims or losses in the last 3 years.'

My questions therefore are around what do I put down now I'm getting quotes for this year? Do I declare it as an accident that was the other party's fault? Where they ask if there was a claim made on my insurance policy, is that a 'yes' or a 'no'?

My understanding was from what they told me later last year, was that a claim from my insurer had definitely been made and the call centre when I reported it were adamant that it was all my fault.

Is the safest thing for me to call them again? I'm reluctant to get them digging into it and deciding I shouldn't have had the refund after all! But I don't want to commit insurance fraud. As it happens, all the quotes from the meerkats have been more expensive whether I answer yes or no to the claim question, so maybe I should just auto-renew again?

Thanks in advance for any assistance - I'm OK on most money stuff, but I find insurance really tricky
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 30,246 Posts
    • 14,330 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    It looks like no claim against you has come in, and your insurer has closed the case.

As a result your claim free status has been reinstated and the refund is to do with the reduction to your premium as a result.

Going forward you now have this incident on your record, which you disclose as s non fault incident ( non fault because no claim against you has ensued)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter