Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spence22zz
    • By Spence22zz 11th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Spence22zz
    Charged for services not recieved
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    Charged for services not recieved 11th Oct 16 at 8:22 PM
    I was insuring my family's cars with Admiral. Unfortunately due being self employed and the way my invoices came in I missed a payment, and they tried to debit the payment again a few days later which also was un successful.
    Admiral took this as 'two missed payments' so they requested I pay the remaining balance on the policy in full £850.
    Again unfortunately I was on holiday and did not get the letter. Admiral cancelled the policy and are charging me the full amount for the policy even though I will not be receiving the services I am being charged for.
    Its not that I cant afford to pay - It just seems a bit unreasonable to me.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 30,265 Posts
    • 14,357 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    You now have a cancelled policy on your record (for ever more).

You must disclose this to any other insurer you approach for quotes - most online off the peg insurers refuse to quote when you have this to disclose

(Saying this happened because you are self employed isn't really likely to get them to change their attitude over this)

As far as wanting you to pay in full, then assuming you have no claims this policy year (and no claims against you) then you need to dispute this - check your policy wording on what happens when they cancel, and if they aren't following the wording you have grounds for complaint (and not to pay for the full year)
    Last edited by Quentin; 11-10-2016 at 8:36 PM.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 12th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    Although not ideal for you, it sounds like they have reasonably cancelled the policy, however the outstanding amount is definitely something you should argue.

If you've not made a claim, then even if they cancel it due to non payment there should be some kind of return premium for the period not used which can be offset against the outstanding balance, meaning you should only have to pay for the cover you used, the cancellation fee and any interest incurred.

As above, you should check your wording and then go back to them to argue this.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 85,120 Posts
    • 50,138 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    Again unfortunately I was on holiday and did not get the letter. Admiral cancelled the policy and are charging me the full amount for the policy even though I will not be receiving the services I am being charged for.
    If they cancel the policy, they will not require you to pay the full outstanding amount of the premium. If they are only cancelling the credit agreement, which you have breached, then the cover will continue to the end of the policy year providing you pay the full amount.

Cancellation of the cover would need you to pay relatively pro-rata for the period of cover plus admin charge. Not the full period.

Speak to them on the phone. Whilst the letters may say one thing, the people on the phone may be able to resolve this.

Remember that you are paying your insurance under a credit agreement. You are now in arrears. Don't let it become a default if you plan to maintain a good credit record.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

633Posts Today

3,714Users online

Martin's Twitter