Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coley650
    • By Coley650 11th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Coley650
    First time confused buyer!
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    First time confused buyer! 11th Oct 16 at 8:21 PM
    Hi, me and my wife are planning to buy a house in 7-12 months. She has good credit with only a credit card and her car on finance. I on the other hand have poor credit due to 3 defaults now being paid on a dmp totalling £4000 when I ran into difficulty 3yrs ago.

We're considering changing her car to a more suitable one so we can sell our other car to cover the £4000. I'm worried this could affect her credit though as it will be a new agreement I assume.

When we come to buy we may be having my grandma live with us as she is due to retire and she's considering gifting us £60,000 towards a deposit.

I want to get rid of this £4000 asap as I think these accounts will be better settled and I can come off the dmp (which I think was a mistake). I'm new to all this and wondered if we're broaching this right or if anyone had some advise. I also don't want to ask my family to borrow it.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 11th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 2,538 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    you will need a broker who deals in adverse credit, a lot of lenders don't like gifted deposits where the gifter is also going to live with you thereby having a vested interest in the property, they may want her to be on the mortgage/deeds too.
    • Coley650
    • By Coley650 11th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coley650
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    Thanks. When would you recommend getting a broker given we're thinking 7-12 months?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter