Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• andrewjb3
    • By andrewjb3 11th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Who you gonna call? (Damp)
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    Who you gonna call? (Damp) 11th Oct 16 at 8:08 PM
    Not sure whether this is a suitable board to ask on, but it's house-related.. I've got damp in a let property, so need someone to survey and fix. The advice is always to get an independent survey done - but what does that mean? If I search for local 'independent damp survey' I can find a few local companies. But they'll all qualified/accredited by the PCA, which, unless I've got it wrong, are tied at director level to the guys that sell the damp proof chemicals. Are the PCA qualifications what I should be looking for? Is an independent surveyor coming under that banner good enough? Or should I be looking for something else?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 36,449 Posts
    • 40,014 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    Do one (or more) of 3 things:

1) get 3 (or better 5) different damp companies round. If they all identify the same cause of the damp, and all recommend similar treatment, then you have a pretty good idea what the problem is.

More likely they will all identify different problems and different solutions, leaving you flummoxed!

2) Get a few local sensible builders round and ask the same question.

3) Pay an independant damp surveyor:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

3,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Superb and chilling piece on #newsnight right now, animated reading from someone under ISIS rule in Mosul

• In my view that's a usually a mistake see my

• Does anyone know when we get US election results - ie is it a watch it overnight on morning of 9nov or watch the next day, or is it days?

• Follow Martin