Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SteveJW
    • By SteveJW 11th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 461Posts
    • 283Thanks
    SteveJW
    Deed to the Grave
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    Deed to the Grave 11th Oct 16 at 7:54 PM
    Here in the East Riding of Yorkshire (don't know if it applies everywhere) they insist that the deeds to a grave are registered in the name of a living person. We recently fell foul of this when arranging for the burial of some ashes,the funeral director could not arrange this until the deeds where transferred to a living person. This involves swearing an oath in front of a solicitor.
    What the local authority failed to tell us is that the deeds can have more than one persons name on them,thus saving the hassle at an already upsetting time.
    We did have a bit of an argument with the local authority as the deeds were in the name of someone who died in the 60s and at least 4 persons ashes had been interred since that date without question.
    We did put one over them though the deeds are registered in my wife's name and myself, my sons name is exactly the same as mine, so which ones name is on the deeds
Page 1
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 11th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 1,261 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    London borough of Merton also insist the grave owner gives permission for the grave to be opened.
    In our case the deceased purchased the grave in the 70's and buried her husband. The deeds were in the name of their son. However unfortunately he predeceased his mother. So when the time came to bury the lady we couldn't.
    The deeds legally belonged to the son's widow, who didn't want it. So she had to sign an oath starting that. This meant it passed equally to her three children. But only one could be on the title. So two had to sign oaths stating they relinquished their rights to it.
    Then the remaining grandchild, my husband had to swear an oath taking ownership.

I wouldn't mind but but it's a two person grave and is now full!!!

OH is now the registered person for two graves, the one listed above. Plus another that his grandmother brought and buried her dad in. When she died they had the sense to put the grave in her grandsons name. And that's a different borough, Sutton.
    So it's possibly a general rule.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,470Posts Today

6,363Users online

Martin's Twitter