Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• 2bFrank
    • By 2bFrank 11th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 174Posts
    • 93Thanks
    Post office not letting us cancel.
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    Post office not letting us cancel. 11th Oct 16 at 7:02 PM

I am hoping someone maybe able to offer some advice.

Sadly my grandmother has had to move into a residential care as her partner has recently passed away and we can no longer meet her care needs as her dementia has progressed.

We have given notice on her flat and have moved everything out ready to hand back the keys.

I have cancelled all my nanas utilities without any hinderence but the only company I am having problems with is the post office for her phone line.

I tried to cancel it, but they are asking for power of attorney, which is fair, but unfortunately we do not have, now eon, united utilities, sky and the council have allowed us to cancel the services without the power of attorney due to the circumstances.

The post office are asking for a letter from the residential home to say she now lives there, I've asked this from the residence home a while back but they are just to busy and have not produced one yet.

They won't let me cancel the phoneline until they have this letter because of OFCOM rules, but I have read through all the rules and conditions I can find and cannot find any reference to this, can anyone help in finding out where this rule is in writing, I believe the post office are just being awkward and trying to get more money of my nana.

I have escalated it through the post office process but I would like to be prepared for when they ring back in 5 days. I'm worried as we give the keys back Monday and anyone will be able to use the phone and rack up high bills in my nanas name.

Thanks for your time
    Jumping into the housing market head first.
Page 1
    • duchy
    • By duchy 11th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 17,663 Posts
    • 44,569 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    Surely you have some paperwork confirming her admittance to the home you could show them ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,246Posts Today

7,849Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just come from physio. I've a level two hamstring tear. I'm gutted.The last time I missed my 10000-steps a day target was 20/9/15

• RT @taraevans: He did it first in June, now @MartinSLewis warns Vodafone customers to check their bills after it is fined £4.6m https://t.c?

• RT @BBCBusiness: We?re seeking people who've never switched energy providers to come meet @MartinSLewis in our London studio on Monday. @ r?

• Follow Martin