Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darrenwis
    • By darrenwis 11th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 1Thanks
    darrenwis
    How to get German TV
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    How to get German TV 11th Oct 16 at 6:56 PM
    Hi all.

I currently have sky TV and obviously use this daily. However, we would like my son to grow up learning German so he can communicate with family and thought we could look to get German TV installed.

I know we would need to seperate dish and box and I have seen the Technomate TM 5402 HD M3 which maybe suitable?

I am looking for advice from anyone who has done this before. Do I need to get a Satelitte installer to do it all, or should i buy the box first? Looking to keep the cost down.

Thanks,
    Darren
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    Aldi sometimes have mini dishes which fit into a case containing the box. Perhaps CS (via phone or email; not in store) could advise you about reception, especially as they are a German company.
    • darrenwis
    • By darrenwis 11th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    darrenwis
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    Hmm would they be suitable?
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 4,824 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    German channels are broadcast from 19E and there are a lot of them broadcast in clear so you don't need a subscription. You need a dish and a box, pretty much any box will be suitable (not sky boxes though, those do not lend themselves to broadcasts not on the sky platform), the size of dish will depend on your location but generally 50-60cm should do.

There are websites that will give you a good idea where to point the dish by showing the direction on a map. When I installed mine for Italian TV I used dishpointer,com but others are available. The other thing to work out is the inclination of the dish which varies by latitude, I spent quite a lot of time online figuring that out.

If you're confident you can line the dish up then go for it, otherwise get an installer / go to a shop. The independent shops tend to do bundle deals - dish, box preprogrammed for the satellite you want and installation, but I imagine you could find an installer that would do dish only.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 12th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    Hmm would they be suitable?
    Originally posted by darrenwis
    Whyever not?

teddysmum made a useful suggestion. Perhaps ask Aldi?

German TV stations are easily viewable by satellite and most don't require subscription. It goes back to German unification when the former West German TV companies wanted to extend their coverage to former East Germany quickly. Easiest satellites are Astra 1 (the one that Sky used when it launched, but NOT current Sky Digital) and Eutelsat.

We have both. The Astra dish is probably easier if you only want German programmes. Eutelsat has hundreds more, including Italian, French, Spanish and Arabic.. I'd suggest you look at these websites and try to work out what's best for your son.

http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/tech/channels.htm
    https://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Germany.html
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 12th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    Whoops! Censored by MSE.

For http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/tech/channels.htm try
    http://www. sat cure.co.uk/tech/channels.htm leaving out the spaces.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,045Posts Today

7,791Users online

Martin's Twitter