Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ian103
    • By ian103 11th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 810Posts
    • 367Thanks
    ian103
    car battery charger
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    car battery charger 11th Oct 16 at 6:44 PM
    I need to boost the charge on the battery of my mini, the car is little used.

The car has stop start so its an agm batter - I have a Hilka 12v car battery charger 6A but its not automatic.

Can I use this or do I need a modern charger like a CTEK?
Page 2
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 12th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    The additional electrical load doesn't help, but the real winter battery killer is simply the cold. The alternator can easily handle all the electrical systems and still put the usual charging current into the battery.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Yes - but on a ten minute journey it has a hard time replacing all of the ampy/volty power-thingies that were used up to start the engine.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 12th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 10,452 Posts
    • 5,776 Thanks
    Strider590
    Yes - but on a ten minute journey it has a hard time replacing all of the ampy/volty power-thingies that were used up to start the engine.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Yeah, mostly because a cold battery is harder to charge though, this is why most chargers now have a cold charging mode.

I guess my concern with people thinking its because of the extra electrical load, is that I get so frustrated with people driving in fog, snow, heavy rain or darkness, with no lights on.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • ian103
    • By ian103 13th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ian103
    Couldnt get the lidl charger form my local store, so I went to my local ctek supplier, he had 2 options and avon or a ctek, he was all for saving me money as the avon was half the price of the ctek, but the ctek had more features and a longer guarantee, so ctek selected and now fitted to car. Very impressed with BBL in Truro.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter