Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gymfan
    • By Gymfan 11th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gymfan
    Private rent with CCJ
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    Private rent with CCJ 11th Oct 16 at 6:08 PM
    I'm new to this forum so I apologise if I am repeating . My daughter (age 17) and I have to leave our current property in 2 weeks as the landlord is moving back in after a relationship breakdown. Everything is above board and he gave me 2 months notice etc . We have lived here for 7.5 years !
    I do work 30 hrs per week as a nurse and my daughter is in full time education at sixth form college . I live in greater London so property costs are high and I've been paying a rent of £925 with no arrears .
    I don't earn a lot but I am entitled to a small amount of housing benefit towards my rent and I receive all I should i.e. tax credits , child benefit etc .
    As I have no savings for a deposit I was advised to visit my local council to declare myself homeless in 28 days , I did this at the end of September and was given an appointment with a case worker last Friday .
    The case worker gave me a few options :
    1. To remain in my current property and wait for my landlord to take me to court and evict me with bailiff action - not something I really want to do as it's stressful , it costs and also unfair on my current landlord
    2. Move into a 1 bed property and I am then entitled to apply for council housing due to overcrowding
    3. They have also offered financial support with a grant to pay for deposit etc with a clause of a 12 month contract

I have chosen option 2 :
    The difficulty I'm having is that my credit score is showing a 2 active CCJ £282 & £2150 . I am in the process of getting a debt relief order via the national debt line but it's not yet finalised .
    A lot of letting agents are turning me down because of the CCJ despite the fact I've never missed a rent payment in 7 years ! They won't even accept a guarantor .
    I'm very very worried now as it looks like I will have no where to go in 10 days , does anyone have any advice or knowledge on this area please .
    Thanking you in advance
Page 1
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 11th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 25,995 Posts
    • 89,269 Thanks
    Person_one
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    Why have you chosen 2 over 3? Surely 3 would mean you get another private rented home with enough space for you both and minimal disruption?

Putting your daughter into overcrowded accommodation when she's trying to do her A levels seems unnecessarily stressful to me.

If you have nowhere to go in 10 days, you will have no choice but to stay put and your landlord will have to go to court. Its not ideal but they should have been aware of the possibility when they decided to rent out property as a business.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 11th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    If you have nowhere to go in 10 days, you wind up doing option 1 by default :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,396Posts Today

6,726Users online

Martin's Twitter