Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grabs39
    • By Grabs39 11th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 307Thanks
    Grabs39
    Will switching pre-pay suppliers lose credit
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    Will switching pre-pay suppliers lose credit 11th Oct 16 at 5:11 PM
    Hi All,

To cut a long story short my current supplier have messed me around for 15 months trying to get them to change the prepayment meters that were in my property when I purchased it to credit meters. I'm therefore in the middle of switching to EDF.

My current supplier just emailed me saying "sorry you're leaving blah blah blah..." but the bottom of the email says "Make sure you use up any credit you've still got on your meter before you insert your new supplier's key – you might lose the credit if you don't."

Does this mean the money I have already topped up will (or might) vanish when I put EDFs cards in the meters? Googling doesn't seem to reveal the answer.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • azzadle
    • By azzadle 11th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    azzadle
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    Yep. When inserting a new key into a meter it can sometimes wipe any credit balance, so use what you've got first, but don't run out of course. Wait until under £1 then use it. This especially seems to happen on 'F' meters - those with a serial number starting F08K for example.
    • Grabs39
    • By Grabs39 11th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Grabs39
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    Yep. When inserting a new key into a meter it can sometimes wipe any credit balance, so use what you've got first, but don't run out of course. Wait until under £1 then use it. This especially seems to happen on 'F' meters - those with a serial number starting F08K for example.
    Originally posted by azzadle
    Thanks very much

I usually keep quit a bit on the meter so I'll let them run down before using the new cards.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 11th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    I have been with EDF for 5 years now, although I pay for my energy (Dual Fuel) by monthly DD. They may not be the cheapest, but I found their service to be very much better than the 3 previous suppliers. One of which (the worst) was NPower.

If it is possible to change your meter, EDF will be happy to arrange that, as they did when we changed from one (electricity) meter to two, when we had GCHeating installed. This was complicated by having a 3-phase electrical meter for our previous night storage/Economy 7 heating, but EDF arranged it all with the meter company.

If you had this meter arrangement, and pay by DD instead of card meter, you could register and use the superb EDF website to read your own meter and send readings online. You could also take one of the Fixed deals that EDF have. They also inform customers of other offers from other suppliers. I really do recommend their service: I appreciate customer service above price and I am happy with theirs.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 11th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    WhoIsThat
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    Hi All,

To cut a long story short my current supplier have messed me around for 15 months trying to get them to change the prepayment meters that were in my property when I purchased it to credit meters. I'm therefore in the middle of switching to EDF.

My current supplier just emailed me saying "sorry you're leaving blah blah blah..." but the bottom of the email says "Make sure you use up any credit you've still got on your meter before you insert your new supplier's key – you might lose the credit if you don't."

Does this mean the money I have already topped up will (or might) vanish when I put EDFs cards in the meters? Googling doesn't seem to reveal the answer.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Grabs39
    A PPM is just a mrthod to pay for your energy (in advance)

There is still an underlying account, and you should receive regular statements.

When you switch supplier, you should be provided with a final bill/statement just as anyone else is. If that shows you are owed money, it is owed to you and the supplier will be obligated to refund you that money.

Hopefully, with a PPM, you will not be in a position that you owe the supplier money (save for any debt applied to the meter for failing to pay a bill in the past, and that is slightly different. If it's a lot, you will not be permitted to switch and if it is low, hopefully the new supplier will allow it to be loaded to the meter and you carry on as before), but it can sometimes be the case. Most suppliers, particularly the big 6, will not now pursue you if it turns out you do owe them money in this situation.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    Originally posted by Grabs39
    Good to know as I'm changing supplier also and wanted to know the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,847Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter