Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Eesha
    • By MSE Eesha 11th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 91Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Eesha
    Prepaid Funeral Plans
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    Prepaid Funeral Plans 11th Oct 16 at 5:00 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks ,
Page 2
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 18th Feb 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Gordon Tulley / Customer Services
    07836 202158
    Respect Direct Funerals
    Office: 01427 612992 / Fax: 01427 614885
    Registered Address: Morton Hall, 2 Front Street Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
    For more information please visit: directfuneral.co.uk
    Check out our Green Burial Sites: respectgb.co.uk
    Twitter Facebook Google +
    Originally posted by Joes nana
    Another spammer looking for business.
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 18th Feb 17, 4:17 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Joes nana
    Has anyone used this company.. I've been told they are good by one person and an considering using them..

Respect Direct Funerals

Tia... Joes nana x
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 18th Feb 17, 4:38 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Has anyone used this company.. I've been told they are good by one person and an considering using them..

Respect Direct Funerals

Tia... Joes nana x
    Far better to put the money away safely in a building society. All of these plans are potential rip,offs.
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 19th Feb 17, 8:33 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Joes nana
    I am concerned at how much the prices rise. Everyone seems to be doing the pre paid thing. My father in law has just died and his pre payment was £1,800 some years back. Today ut would be nearer £4k.

I'd rather save now and know I'm getting what I want. .

Has anyone any experience with these people please?

Regards joes nana
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 20th Feb 17, 3:35 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Joes nana
    Not spamming
    Hi. Sorry if you think I'm spamming. I'm not 100% sure what it is.but please be assured I am genuinely asking this question.

I am 52 years old and gad a spate of recent deaths and am shocked at the prices.

I want a simple no frills affair and was pointed I this companies direction. I adjust asking if anyone has used or knows anything about funeral plans or such things.

How do I prove I'm genuine I'm not sure. Sorry if you feel like this. But again can only say it's a genuine question

Regards
    Joes nana
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 20th Feb 17, 3:48 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Joes nana
    Maybe I should of worded it differently.

I'll try this....

I'm considering buying a pre paid funeral, one of those direct cremation things where there is no service etc.

Are they worth pre paying and when the money is held in a trust they are wanting £300 for setting it up.

The company I posted earlier is the one I'm considering. So if anyone has any advice or information that would be great to hear.

Thanks joey nanas.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 20th Feb 17, 4:32 PM
    • 28,521 Posts
    • 72,656 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I am 52 years old and gad a spate of recent deaths and am shocked at the prices.
    As you're only 52, you could be around for another 40+ years!

I wouldn't have bought a funeral at your age.

Put money aside for the moment with written instructions about the simple cremation that you want.

My parents bought funeral plans - direct, simple paid-up funerals, not trusts or ones with variable prices or hidden costs. They saved about a third on the price of the funeral by the time they died.
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 20th Feb 17, 5:07 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Joes nana
    Funeral plans
    Hi thanks for your reply. Interesting info. I guess I'm looking ahead as the price we have seen recently is a huge amount. Was hoping to pay upfront with a price freeze if you see what I mean.

So is there a difference between paid funerals and funeral trusts? The company I mentioned can do what I want.
    As someone suggested it was spam it was me thinking I was clever copying and pasting the details, I'm trying to delete the post but don't know how yet.. I'll figure it out.

Yes I'll speak to my daughter and put the money aside with instructions.

Thankyou for your reply
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 20th Feb 17, 6:48 PM
    • 28,521 Posts
    • 72,656 Thanks
    Mojisola
    So is there a difference between paid funerals and funeral trusts?
    I've no experience of funeral trusts but I'm assuming that the money is kept until the death and then a funeral is bought.

A pre-paid funeral is just that - you choose the company and pay upfront. Some agencies do plans - like AgeUK, big companies like the Co-op do them and so do individual funeral directors.

My parents bought theirs from AgeUK. They take out contracts with local FDs so you don't have a choice when your time comes - your funeral will be managed by the company which has the contract.

Which? has some advice -
    http://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/funeral-plans/guides
    /funeral-plans-explained
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 20th Feb 17, 7:16 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Joes nana
    Funeral plans
    Thanks for that info.... I shall give it some thought...
    I've tried to delete the previous company info but can't work out how too it..

Plus now I've forgotten my password and it says email not registered. I'm constantly logged in on my phone at mo. But how the hell I'm going to sort it out I have no idea lol

Thanks for info.
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 25th Feb 17, 8:29 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Joes nana
    Hi me again..
    I had a very interesting chat with someone the other day who is in the funeral business.
    I asked about pre payment. Their reply was.... Keep the money somewhere accessible as these pre payment funds are looking like the next financial disaster.... Eeeek that's put the wind up me....
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 25th Feb 17, 11:11 AM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 4,290 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Hi me again..
    I had a very interesting chat with someone the other day who is in the funeral business.
    I asked about pre payment. Their reply was.... Keep the money somewhere accessible as these pre payment funds are looking like the next financial disaster.... Eeeek that's put the wind up me....
    I don't see why that should be, PPF plans are nothing more than whole life policies underwritten by major insurers. Is the person saying that the next financial disaster is going to be the failure of the insurence industry?
    • Drum
    • By Drum 26th Feb 17, 7:11 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drum
    To buy pre paid funeral plan or not buy
    I have recently sorted out Wills for myself and my husband and to make things easier for my family I am seriously considering purchasing 2 pre paid funeral plans. I am finding it really hard to get independent advice and simply cannot decide. Any views?
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 26th Feb 17, 7:23 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    I have recently sorted out Wills for myself and my husband and to make things easier for my family I am seriously considering purchasing 2 pre paid funeral plans. I am finding it really hard to get independent advice and simply cannot decide. Any views?
    Originally posted by Drum
    Don't! Put the money away and top it up when you can. Consider if you want to spend a lot or have a simple and inexpensive funeral. Then make it clear to your executors what YOU want.
    • joes nana
    • By joes nana 28th Feb 17, 10:13 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    joes nana
    not spam sorry new member
    just a quick one to say its not spam, im a new member and old and didnt know the rules. sorry ... i am genuine tho and i think ive managed to delete the post.

apologies
    • jaineyjaine
    • By jaineyjaine 20th Apr 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaineyjaine
    Avalon.Missold policy ??
    My mom has just lost her partner of almost 30 years.She was paying £45 a month for 3 yrs. Sold this policy as a 10yr one.They were told the average cost of a funeralwas £8000.Both have health issues.Told flowers inc etc. They weren't.We could receive monies paid minus £500 admin fee £1300 approx or pay them almost £1900.Rather than lose £500 we paid.Cannot reclaim funeral benefit from DSS as plan is classed as paid up.They were being charged interest on their plan which they weren't told about. No mention of this on their forms.Lots of blank spaces on it though. Booked through Co-op and told Avalon were their customers,not us. Has been a nightmare from start to finish. The Co-op wouldn't even print the Order of Service claiming they didn't have enough time from the Wednesday to the Monday. Don't touch this company with a bargepole.
    • CongoSue
    • By CongoSue 22nd Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CongoSue
    One thing came up recently when we were looking into paying for my mother's residence care. She has to pay until the value of all her assets goes down to £11k or thereabouts, with a sliding scale as she gets below £23k. The Local Authority can look to see where significant money has been spent, in case she have given money away "deliberate deprivation of assets" to avoid paying fees. One thing that is not taken into account, is paying in advance for a funeral.
    So, if Mum's assets go right down and she hasn't paid for a funeral, the money will come out of what's left, thereby reducing her estate. (She is still with us!) If she's bought a plan, it doesn't count towards her assets.
    On the other hand, money in a separate account, with the intention of paying for a funeral from it, will presumably be seen as part of the person's assets, when it comes to paying for care?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 22nd Jun 17, 9:15 PM
    • 28,521 Posts
    • 72,656 Thanks
    Mojisola
    So, if Mum's assets go right down and she hasn't paid for a funeral, the money will come out of what's left, thereby reducing her estate. (She is still with us!) If she's bought a plan, it doesn't count towards her assets.

On the other hand, money in a separate account, with the intention of paying for a funeral from it, will presumably be seen as part of the person's assets, when it comes to paying for care?
    Originally posted by CongoSue
    In a similar vein - my parents bought their funeral plans because of the capital limit when claiming benefits. At the time it was £6k for them as a couple.

They wanted to keep enough by for two funerals as well as save for bigger items like a stair lift. The £6k limit didn't allow for that.
    • CMM21
    • By CMM21 25th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CMM21
    My Dear Dad died recently and I was shocked to see how much more his funeral costed compared to my mum's 14 years ago! Mum. - £1600.
    Dad's £3700.
    Looking into a plan but unsure. Welcome any advice or experiences .
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 25th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    My Dear Dad died recently and I was shocked to see how much more his funeral costed compared to my mum's 14 years ago! Mum. - £1600.
    Dad's £3700.
    Looking into a plan but unsure. Welcome any advice or experiences .
    Originally posted by CMM21
    Avoid the plan and put the mpney into an account for yourself. You can get a basic funeral with cremation for well under £2,000. You just need to avoid all the expensive extras. Find a truly independent funeral director and talk to them. Make sure you set out exctly what YOU want and tell your executors.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

2,505Users online

Martin's Twitter