Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gsh5112
    • By gsh5112 11th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    gsh5112
    Compulsary uniform. Is this right?
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    Compulsary uniform. Is this right? 11th Oct 16 at 4:53 PM
    Hi
    A little advice please.

My OH works part-time for NEXT and twice a year they MUST buy the new seasons clothes, including shoes, to wear at work. The prices are subsidised but the fact that it is obligatory seems unfair.

So, my questions would be; Should she have to spend up to £100 twice per year on clothes on her 'uniform'? In effect they are insisting that money from her wage is spent in store (giving with one hand and taking back with the other springs to mind) thus reducing her salary. Secondly, because she is part-time she does not earn enough to pay tax and therefore not eligible to any tax-relief on it being laundered. Surely this is a double whammy of unavoidable expense.

I appreciate the clothes are not branded, she can wear them outside work (if they sold a style she would choose to wear), the company do not want to advertise other brands but it is the enforcement which is unreasonable. If they want staff to walk around as clothes horses they should provide them for free.

Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • boliston
    • By boliston 13th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    boliston
    It does sound odd that an item of clothing is deemed "too old to wear" at 6 months! Most items of clothing I own are several years old yet still fine - I would think twice about ever buying from next if their clothing has such a short usable life.
    • NYM
    • By NYM 13th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    NYM
    Seasons change...
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Sounds reasonable, given the amount of discount and the fact that the OP's wife would have to buy something to wear to work!

But if you still think that's bad, consider my friend in the 1970s. She was the type of lady who, let's say, would never fall flat on her face. She applied for a job with a local garage and was given a 'uniform' of a very skimpy tee shirt with spaghetti straps, to be worn with her own jeans. When she pointed out that her bra straps would show, she was told that the dress code specified NO BRA. She didn't take the job.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 13th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    boliston
    Seasons change...
    Originally posted by NYM
    I can see that people buy summer and winter clothing BUT surely a store is heated in winter and air conditioned in summer?
    • foolofbeans
    • By foolofbeans 15th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    foolofbeans
    It does sound odd that an item of clothing is deemed "too old to wear" at 6 months! Most items of clothing I own are several years old yet still fine - I would think twice about ever buying from next if their clothing has such a short usable life.
    Originally posted by boliston
    I think the idea is that if a customer likes the clothes a member of staff is wearing then they can purchase the same clothes in the shop as they are current season.
    My sister worked for New Look and they have the same policy and the only time she was asked about her blouse it was from a different store!
    I don't like the policy as it discriminates against part-time workers. I know of Saturday staff who would have to lose some of their wage to pay for new clothes every few months but then the perks of the discount and first dibs on the sale items were considered to be worth it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

932Posts Today

5,823Users online

Martin's Twitter