Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whichwaydidhego
    • By whichwaydidhego 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    whichwaydidhego
    Live/Work change of use
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    Live/Work change of use 11th Oct 16 at 4:40 PM
    Hi wondering if anyone can help. We are selling our home and have live/work status - which is now redundant and makes it difficult for buyers to find a mortgage - and we need to change the status to residential. We also changed our council tax band a good few years ago and I'm wondering if we'd have to pay the difference in costs for the years it hasn't been in use as live/work - around 4 or 5 years.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 11th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,323 Thanks
    anselld
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    Planning application for change of use to C3.
    When/if planning is approved inform the VOA office to revalue as fully residential and presumably remove the Business Rates element.
    • whichwaydidhego
    • By whichwaydidhego 11th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    whichwaydidhego
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    Thanks so much. Will this affect anything? Will I owe anyone money? Can they try to take a portion of the value of the house..?
    • anselld
    • By anselld 11th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,323 Thanks
    anselld
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    Thanks so much. Will this affect anything? Will I owe anyone money? Can they try to take a portion of the value of the house..?
    Originally posted by whichwaydidhego
    You will have to pay for a planning application.

You may need to pay additional Council Tax depending what the VOA decide and if they decide to backdate any banding change.
    • Fuzzyness
    • By Fuzzyness 11th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    Fuzzyness
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    when my council tax band went up after an unsuccessful application to the VOA i wasn't liable for any backdated council tax. probably best to give them a call.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,190Posts Today

5,939Users online

Martin's Twitter