Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 11th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 2,099Posts
    • 238Thanks
    britishboy
    Is my Technicolor modem a wireless router too?
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    Is my Technicolor modem a wireless router too? 11th Oct 16 at 4:32 PM
    forgive my ignorance, I have a Technicolor modem (Im with Plusnet) that i got 2 years ago when we signed up with then JohnLewis broadband in my village. We're in an old house with thick solid walls and struggle to get wifi in the back bedroom. All we have coming in to the house internet wise is the modem, so I assume its the router too?? And would it have a pretty poor wifi signal from it?

We've got a TP-Link extender but when its on upstairs, we struggle using laptops downstairs, always hanging up etc

Would a better wifi router help us? And would it plug into our Technicolor, or replace it?
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    Unless you got the modem 15+ years ago then it's almost certainly a modem/router/WiFi access point in one device.

What is its model number?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    Unless you got the modem 15+ years ago then it's almost certainly a modem/router/WiFi access point in one device.

What is its model number?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Hi Doam
    sorry, its a TG 582n. I'm no computer expert but it looks pretty cheap (and im guessing poor quality?)

It struggles to send through 1 wooden door, up an open staircase, along a 6m landing and through another wooden door
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 11th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:45 PM

It struggles to send through 1 wooden door, up an open staircase, along a 6m landing and through another wooden door
    Originally posted by britishboy

Is that a straight line? Radio signals only travel in straight lines.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 8,847 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technicolour-TG582n-Port-Wireless-Router/dp/B005ELFTH4

It might be your WiFi channels that need changing .But it is a basic product .
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    But to answer the question - Yes, it does have a WiFi access point built in. The SSID will be on the device label (assuming you or someone else hasn't changed it in the meantime).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 23,333 Posts
    • 9,197 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    I dumped the plusnet router and went with the BT homehub one. Unlike some ISP's Plusnet will give you the login name and password to use another device.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    Have a look at this thread about extending wireless network coverage:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5538931

The best thing to do would be to run a cable upstairs and connect a wireless access point.

Otherwise, you could use wireless powerline adaptors. Something like this:
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-wpa4220kit-av500-wireless-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-21436595-pdt.html

(The above isn't a particular recommendation -- just an example of what would work.)
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 11th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    +1 for buying a used bt homehub 5 from ebay - much better wireless signal than the Technicolor at a bargain price

There's an easy to follow guide on how to connect it pinned on the Plusnet forum.

If you still need access upstairs etc, wireless homeplug (powerline) is easy to set up and avoids running wires everywhere
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 11th Oct 16, 6:59 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Robisere
    My PlusNet Technicolor router has been stored in the box since 3 weeks I received it. That's how long it took me to realise how completely rubbish it was, and relace it with a very good TP-Link model.

However, last time I had yet another BT engineer visit to investigate my poor PN FTTC service, PN told me that I could ask them to send me a better router, ignoring the fact that I had told them at least twice that I had bought and fitted a TP-Link one. I assume that anyone requesting that, would have to pay, but it might be worth asking what model it is, then Google - checking the model. If it's not Gigabit (also shown as 10/100/1000) then buy another model that is.

All irrelevant to me now anyway, as I will soon be taking Sky Q broadband and TV, having got a good deal at my local Currys for a new TV and the Sky service. I give that a year: if I want to keep Sky I will. If not, I will switch when the price goes up after the "Offer" period runs out. And keep the Freebies that I blagged from them....
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,483Posts Today

6,032Users online

Martin's Twitter