Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 11th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    • 166Posts
    • 23Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: How to beat the latest TalkTalk price hikes
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    MSE News: How to beat the latest TalkTalk price hikes 11th Oct 16 at 3:46 PM
    Three million TalkTalk customers are facing price hikes next month of up to £33/year...
    Read the full story:
    'TalkTalk to increase prices by up to £33/yr for millions – but you can beat the hikes'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Callum; 13-10-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Page 2
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 17th Oct 16, 6:10 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Terry98
    Just been on the online chat.

I am on 38Mb fibre and my broadband price is going up by £1.25 per month. When my free fibre offer ends I'll be paying £37.95 per month.

I went all the way through to actually giving my 30 days notice and they still wouldn't really move on the price.

The best discount they would offer me was £2 a month so I managed to get the Fast Fibre package for £25 per month.

As my cabinet is fully subscribed I don't have the option of switching supplier so accepted the offer.
    Originally posted by fossman
    Thanks for the information.

How did you find out your cabinet was fully subscribed? Presumably you did an online price enquiry with another ISP and they told you fibre was not available on your line.

Did they upgrade you from 38mb to 76mb ?
    • fossman
    • By fossman 17th Oct 16, 6:45 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    fossman
    Thanks for the information.

How did you find out your cabinet was fully subscribed? Presumably you did an online price enquiry with another ISP and they told you fibre was not available on your line.

Did they upgrade you from 38mb to 76mb ?
    Originally posted by Terry98
    I went on BT's website and it said fibre was available at my address but I could only order standard broadband at this time and the SSE website said they could not provide fibre at my address.

They did not upgrade me from 38mb to 76mb but I did add a £5 fast fibre boost, I will see how my speed compares once it is active and can remove it if the speeds aren't great.
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 17th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Terry98
    [QUOTE=fossman;71464925
    They did not upgrade me from 38mb to 76mb but I did add a £5 fast fibre boost,.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the same as up to 38mb? https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/can-i-get-superfast-fibre-broadband
    • fossman
    • By fossman 17th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    fossman
    Originally posted by Terry98
    Yes, so I am paying £25 per month for the 38mb package and then an additional £5 per month for the speed boost.
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 17th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    joe134
    I'm very pleased with the new packages. As my 'hook-in' incentive prices were stopping, my monthly payments for Plus TV fibre + unlimited calls+line rental rose to £48, set to go to £51. I was about to start looking around for alternative suppliers.
    The new deal, which I set up on-line in about 5 minutes, gives me Fibre+unlimited+line rental (I've ditched the expensive TV boost, I only went for it because it was part of the initial promotion) for £32 p.m.. Talktalk refunded my 1 month outstanding advance line rental automatically. I now can't find an equivalent that will stay cheaper for 18 months, so I'm staying with Talktalk.
    One aspect of the new packages that nobody has mentioned, is that the monthly price is fixed for 18 months. As the prices for broadband and phone seem to rise every 6 months this is a significant extra.
    Originally posted by LesU
    Hi LesU, curious about you one month upfront refund.
    When I did mine, on the phone,friday, the guy said he would refund my one month, to my TT a/c, I asked why not back to my bank, he said, that's how it works, but, after being 15+ years,with TT, I've never had a refund back to my bank a/c, and done several early changes..
    I will wait to see if my first bill, in Nov, has that refund deducted, otherwise, How do I get at it £16?
    No good sat in my TT a/c.I have, in the past, renewed after my 12 months, and been charged for the one month,extra, pro rata.
    Have you checked your bank to see if it's refunded to your bank, or to your TT a/c?
    Last edited by joe134; 17-10-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    • LesU
    • By LesU 17th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    LesU
    It was refunded to my TalkTalk account and was taken off the next bill (just been paid). This was no problem for me because I had just renewed for 18 months, so first months payment was about half my standard month's payment.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 17th Oct 16, 1:33 PM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    joe134
    It was refunded to my TalkTalk account and was taken off the next bill (just been paid). This was no problem for me because I had just renewed for 18 months, so first months payment was about half my standard month's payment.
    Thanks LesU, that's what I'm expecting.
    The 18 months contract for both, is far better than LL for 12 months and BB 18 months.
    Was always a pain .
    • richardse6
    • By richardse6 17th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    richardse6
    I joined TT three months ago on a 18 month contract and got an email saying they are increasing my payment from £47.70 to £50.85 so £37.80 per yr. I'm a bit annoyed as I also signed up for a fixed price contract. When I joined I received a set top box worth £180 apparently and £100 in vouchers ( which Ive spent!).
    Anyone know if I cancelled would I have to give the box back....??
    Originally posted by littleblue735
    I think if you cancel they charge you a deferred fee of £75.00 for the TV Box.

This is a nonsense. I also have an 18 month half price TV package and phone package at £10.00 a month for 18 months. They emailed me to say my charges go from £27.70 a month to £40.00 on 15 November even though the contract runs until January 2017. This can't be true. On the phone they've now told me that they can put the charge up when they like. Half price for 18 months shouldn't mean half price for 15 months!!
    • joe134
    • By joe134 18th Oct 16, 6:58 AM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    joe134
    I think if you cancel they charge you a deferred fee of £75.00 for the TV Box.

This is a nonsense. I also have an 18 month half price TV package and phone package at £10.00 a month for 18 months. They emailed me to say my charges go from £27.70 a month to £40.00 on 15 November even though the contract runs until January 2017. This can't be true. On the phone they've now told me that they can put the charge up when they like. Half price for 18 months shouldn't mean half price for 15 months!!
    Originally posted by richardse6
    they can, if they give due notice.even these new 18 month ones we have just taken out.
    he told me that when I renewed friday.
    stinks, but they have got us.
    they can blame brexit now
    • LesU
    • By LesU 18th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    LesU
    I don't see how Talktalk can put up my monthly payment for the next 18 months when their welcome e-mail quite clearly states:-

' Your broadband package £27
    Fixed price for 18 months.'

Additionally in the small print terms and conditions on the new packages web page it states:-

These Fixed Price Plans will have no price increases on the monthly charges during the minimum contract period (this does not include Boosts or other charges, such as movies or calls).

I think these packages are perhaps different to previous deals with a fixed price. The price promise couldn't be clearer.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 19th Oct 16, 8:12 AM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    joe134
    I don't see how Talktalk can put up my monthly payment for the next 18 months when their welcome e-mail quite clearly states:-

' Your broadband package £27
    Fixed price for 18 months.'

Additionally in the small print terms and conditions on the new packages web page it states:-

These Fixed Price Plans will have no price increases on the monthly charges during the minimum contract period (this does not include Boosts or other charges, such as movies or calls).

I think these packages are perhaps different to previous deals with a fixed price. The price promise couldn't be clearer.
    Like you, I was to understand it was fixed;
    Only going by what he said on the phone, " if any increase, due notice will be given"?. He was waffling a bit.
    I even got charged for going over the hour on their 0845 number, to arrange it.
    2 minutes.Cannot be bothered ringing again.
    I didn't question it, should have.
    I expected my new plan to kick in ,in November, as my billing date is 16th of each month, and I only phoned on the 15th.
    Surprise when my bill for this month was in credit, so, he did it straight away.
    • geoffn
    • By geoffn 19th Oct 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    geoffn
    A word of warning. If you return your set top box, keep the proof of postage. When I cancelled the TV contract sometime ago they sent me a returns bag. Nearly a year after I returned the box I received a letter stating they hadn't received the box and were going to make a charge. Fortunately I found the proof of postage, mailed them a copy and heard nothing more. Maybe the process has changed but keep the proof of postage forever.
    • tinkerbell19
    • By tinkerbell19 19th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tinkerbell19
    How long do I have??
    I have only just found out about this price increase. When does the 30 day cancellation period end please? Do not want to miss it. We are moving house anyway, so were facing early termination fees. Talktalk have always been a nightmare so we will not be taking them to our new property! We are not moving until after christmas though, so want to cancel as late as possible, without stepping outside the 30 day period. I understand our services will continue to run for 30 days AFTER we cancel, due to the notice period, so if we can time it right and keep out tv and services for christmas, that would be ideal. Thank you for your help!😊😊
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 19th Oct 16, 2:03 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Terry98
    I have only just found out about this price increase. When does the 30 day cancellation period end please? Do not want to miss it.
    Originally posted by tinkerbell19
    This is what they say on the email:

'If you don’t want to take a Fixed Low Price Plan and would like to change or cancel anything without charge or penalty, call us on 0345 172 0046 within 30 days of receiving this email'
    • beardybot
    • By beardybot 20th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beardybot
    I'm a little confused about cancellation.

I know that generally, if I change to Plusnet, they will handle the cancellation (seriously, thanks OFCOM), but does this also include the current scenario where I'm not liable for any cancellation fees because of the price rises? Or are TalkTalk going to force me to cancel through them before I can set out a new contract with Plusnet?

Regards.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 20th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    anactuary
    You need to ring TT to ensure the penalty is removed from your account before applying to Plusnet. If they "forget" as in my case a while back, you'll have to ring again and again and eventually complain to the CEO's office.

You don't want to tell TT you're cancelling just that you want the early termination charge removed so you can switch ISP as per Ofcom.
    • hairydale4
    • By hairydale4 21st Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hairydale4
    When Taktalk emailed saying they were increasing their prices, I offered a quick prayer in the general direction of Ofcom. In January my 12 months at £27.50 was due to rise to £50.50, due to various offers I'd wrangled at the last renewal. And, lo and behold, MSE tell me that BT has a special two day* deal for £18 for 52meg fibre! I instantly cancelled TT and joined BT. The TT phone operator initially said there's be a cancellation charge, which she retracted as soon as I mentioned Ofcom. Yesterday, though, TT emailed me to thank me for being with them, and the cancellation charge on my final bill will be £294! It gave me a good laugh, but it just goes to show you the depths that TT will go to, to try and frighten you into staying. I can just imagine my old mother in law receiving that email and signing back up. Maybe Ofcom should take a look at the way ISPs are distorting the facts at every turn.
    *I see the two days has been extended to next Thursday the 27th now.
    Last edited by hairydale4; 21-10-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    • soldave
    • By soldave 22nd Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    soldave
    When Taktalk emailed saying they were increasing their prices, I offered a quick prayer in the general direction of Ofcom. In January my 12 months at £27.50 was due to rise to £50.50, due to various offers I'd wrangled at the last renewal. And, lo and behold, MSE tell me that BT has a special two day* deal for £18 for 52meg fibre! I instantly cancelled TT and joined BT. The TT phone operator initially said there's be a cancellation charge, which she retracted as soon as I mentioned Ofcom. Yesterday, though, TT emailed me to thank me for being with them, and the cancellation charge on my final bill will be £294! It gave me a good laugh, but it just goes to show you the depths that TT will go to, to try and frighten you into staying. I can just imagine my old mother in law receiving that email and signing back up. Maybe Ofcom should take a look at the way ISPs are distorting the facts at every turn.
    *I see the two days has been extended to next Thursday the 27th now.
    Originally posted by hairydale4
    Think I'm going to go down the BT route too
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 22nd Oct 16, 11:37 AM
    • 8,038 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I phoned on the number provided and got a new 18 month Fixed Price contract for Fibre BB @ £25pm, which is a reduction from my old price of £27.70.

They also sent me a new router, which was useful, and my download speed is now about twice what it used to be.

My new package is based on the "offering existing customers the same offers as new customers" promise - the £27 Faster Fibre plan, less a £2 loyalty discount (or similar).
    "He knows more about the UK TV Licence than anyone I've ever met".
    • soldave
    • By soldave 22nd Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    soldave
    I phoned on the number provided and got a new 18 month Fixed Price contract for Fibre BB @ £25pm, which is a reduction from my old price of £27.70.

They also sent me a new router, which was useful, and my download speed is now about twice what it used to be.

My new package is based on the "offering existing customers the same offers as new customers" promise - the £27 Faster Fibre plan, less a £2 loyalty discount (or similar).
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Just curious: is there any particular reason you opted to stay with TT? Wouldn't BT have given you potentially better speeds at a cheaper price? Just weighing up my own options so trying to get some opinions and thoughts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

6,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin