Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 11th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    • 161Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: How to beat the latest TalkTalk price hikes
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    MSE News: How to beat the latest TalkTalk price hikes 11th Oct 16 at 3:46 PM
    Three million TalkTalk customers are facing price hikes next month of up to £33/year...
    Read the full story:
    'TalkTalk to increase prices by up to £33/yr for millions – but you can beat the hikes'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Callum; 13-10-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Page 1
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 11th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Terry98
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    This makes TalkTalk prices even more confusing.

I have paid my line rental in advance so will be saving £3 a month on the new price for the next 11 months.

I have fibre broadband for under £4 a month for the next five months but that increases to £14 a month next March for the last six months of the contract.

What is my best option? I was hoping to haggle on the March increase nearer the time.
    Last edited by Terry98; 12-10-2016 at 7:40 AM.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 12th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    This is a waste of time even looking at the new TalkTalk options, for me anyway.

I paid line rental in advance last year at £191.16 for 12 months, that's £15.93 and also get 76Mbps Fibre for £10 on top of that, a total bill of £25.93 a month which was already heavily discounted from what the original asking price, £22.50 + line rental at

The new "fixed low cost" option for the same product is £32 a month. Stuff that. If I renew line rental value for 12 months at the new £204.66 rate, that's £17.05 a month, plus my £10, it's better value anyway for the same damn product.

That being said, the changes come in November 4th. My line rental value is due a few days before Christmas, the renewal window is 60 days ahead so in theory late next week I should get the option at the old rate which would give me a rate of £25.05 for the same product. Time will tell.

*edit* Since I wrote this I've had Talktalk's email, the new prices start from November 15th apparently.
    Pointless moving provider, can't find anywhere else as a new customer that beats what I'm paying at the moment.*
    Last edited by Neil Jones; 12-10-2016 at 3:23 PM.
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 12th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 20,012 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    Mine is going up from £22.70 to £40.45 but after chatting they said they will do it for £27.70 for 6 months.

No thanks, Time to leave.
    DEC WINS: Gorgeous diffuser.

• KxMx
    • By KxMx 13th Oct 16, 1:24 AM
    • 6,730 Posts
    • 9,146 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:24 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:24 AM
    Looks like our bill will go down on a new plan.

Line rental, unlimited UK calls & basic broadband is costing around £33 per month.

On one of the new plans with identical features £27.95 per month, fixed for 18 months.

Seems a winner.
    • MickeyDaMouse
    • By MickeyDaMouse 13th Oct 16, 2:54 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MickeyDaMouse
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:54 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 2:54 AM
    My package is going up too. I just got the email. It says it's going from £35.20 a month to £37.95. However I'm currently on a special discount that reduces my package for 12 months after complaining pretty much every day about their shocking internet reliability.

The email says my price minus any discounts and boosts will be as above but doesn't say how this will affect my discounted price.

I have been desperate to leave talk talk for a good while now and I'm quite excited that this is finally my escape!

Can anyone confirm, with the above in mine, can I just give 30 days notice to talktalk and escape now?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Oct 16, 4:01 AM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:01 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:01 AM
    I think, with price increases, you can just leave without giving any notice but don't quote me on that; ask Talk Talk.

My package, after speaking nicely to them, has gone from £37.70 to £32.00 for exactly the same thing. 38Mb fibre bb, anytime calls, Plus TV and line rental. Can't see many other providers beating that.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Etccarmageddon
    • By Etccarmageddon 13th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Etccarmageddon
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    I'm looking at EE - £94.50 cashback deal for the next 3 days. and fibre at £10per month plus half price activation.
    • Etccarmageddon
    • By Etccarmageddon 13th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Etccarmageddon
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    My package is going up too. I just got the email. It says it's going from £35.20 a month to £37.95. However I'm currently on a special discount that reduces my package for 12 months after complaining pretty much every day about their shocking internet reliability.

The email says my price minus any discounts and boosts will be as above but doesn't say how this will affect my discounted price.

I have been desperate to leave talk talk for a good while now and I'm quite excited that this is finally my escape!

Can anyone confirm, with the above in mine, can I just give 30 days notice to talktalk and escape now?
    Originally posted by MickeyDaMouse
    yes and you have to do it within 30 days of the notification of the price rise otherwise you don't dodge the cancellation fee.
    • littleblue735
    • By littleblue735 13th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    littleblue735
    I joined TT three months ago on a 18 month contract and got an email saying they are increasing my payment from £47.70 to £50.85 so £37.80 per yr. I'm a bit annoyed as I also signed up for a fixed price contract. When I joined I received a set top box worth £180 apparently and £100 in vouchers ( which Ive spent!).
    Anyone know if I cancelled would I have to give the box back....??
    • Etccarmageddon
    • By Etccarmageddon 13th Oct 16, 4:08 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Etccarmageddon
    3 months in, I'd think it reasonable for them to request the equipment back.

unless you have paid for it
    • Teacher2301
    • By Teacher2301 15th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Teacher2301
    I only found out about the price increase this week = I had no email or letter from TT. I spent an hour onscreen chat with one customer service agent who informed me of the 'breakage charge' I would face if |I left the contract. A bit of persistence and a few other checks confirmed that TT do adhere to OFCOM regs on leaving without charge or penalty. fee 'should be' waived but we'll wait and see. Moved to Sky for £10 cheaper deal.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' : Member number 632
    Nerds rule!
    • fossman
    • By fossman 15th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    fossman
    I paid line rental upfront and then pay each month £7.50 for simply broadband and a further £10 for medium fibre (I did get 12 months fibre free).

Where does this leave me now then? Well the new £27 per month fibre pricing works out loads cheaper than what I will soon be paying when my free 12 months ends. But seeing what everyone else is paying TalkTalk it seems £27 a month is too much.

I've not had the email about the price increase yet but will give them a call as soon as I do.
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
    • MurkySurfy
    • By MurkySurfy 15th Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MurkySurfy
    There only a few deals that can be cheaper than what TalkTalk's retention deals can offer.
    SSE's 76mbps+anytime calls for £21 is the one I used to bargain against Talktalk. Obviously, they are very unlikely to match that at that price.

Due to the price increase, I was able to renew with talktalk for 76mbps + anytime for £28.75. Previous was paying £32.70 for 38mb Plus TV package. I wasn't interested with having tv plans, so don't know if they will discount for that. I didn't go with SSE as they said I need a BT line and didn't offer an option to do a LLU conversion (£36.91). Plus there is a possibility for a long downtime when switching and congestion issues.

Discounts applied was:
    18 months half price to Anytime call boost
    £7 discount off for 18 months.

Don't think you can go lower than this but you can try your luck.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 16th Oct 16, 7:14 AM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    joe134
    Just spent an hour on the phone to TT, haggling, they wanted £27.95 for a new, package, same I have now, no upfront payment for landline, got them down to £23.75 pm,Fast Speed Plan, just 25p more than I already pay, for a new 18 month contract, unlimited BB and unlimited , anytime calls LL and mobiles, and line rental.
    My one month remaining on my last upfront line rental, will be credited to my account.
    Quite happy with that.very pleasant, struggled with background noise, but, cannot complain.
    sorted, took 2 calls several people, but, insist on retention, loyalty team, only too pleased to retain you.
    I've been with them since it was Aol.
    This way is better than, paying line upfront for 12 months, and 18 month contract, only to have to haggle again when line rental is due again, like mine now.
    Last edited by joe134; 16-10-2016 at 7:35 AM.
    • LesU
    • By LesU 16th Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    LesU
    I'm very pleased with the new packages. As my 'hook-in' incentive prices were stopping, my monthly payments for Plus TV fibre + unlimited calls+line rental rose to £48, set to go to £51. I was about to start looking around for alternative suppliers.
    The new deal, which I set up on-line in about 5 minutes, gives me Fibre+unlimited+line rental (I've ditched the expensive TV boost, I only went for it because it was part of the initial promotion) for £32 p.m.. Talktalk refunded my 1 month outstanding advance line rental automatically. I now can't find an equivalent that will stay cheaper for 18 months, so I'm staying with Talktalk.
    One aspect of the new packages that nobody has mentioned, is that the monthly price is fixed for 18 months. As the prices for broadband and phone seem to rise every 6 months this is a significant extra.
    • fossman
    • By fossman 16th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    fossman
    Just been looking at the other deals available from other suppliers, our BT cabinet is fully subscribed with fibre users so I won't be able to switch to a new supplier.
    Cashback earned
    • ilikebargains
    • By ilikebargains 16th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ilikebargains
    I joined Talk-talk in January 2016, phone and fibre broadband (38MB). I have received a email informing of the rises. The deal I signed was for 18 months and for 12 months only line rental payable and fibre was free (£17.70), After this 6 months line rental and and fibre charges (£17.70 line rental and Fibre £10).

Can I cancel my agreement with talk talk if I can not have the price increases removed?
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 16th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    anactuary
    I joined Talk-talk in January 2016, phone and fibre broadband (38MB). I have received a email informing of the rises. The deal I signed was for 18 months and for 12 months only line rental payable and fibre was free (£17.70), After this 6 months line rental and and fibre charges (£17.70 line rental and Fibre £10).

Can I cancel my agreement with talk talk if I can not have the price increases removed?
    Originally posted by ilikebargains
    Yes you're entitled to leave with no penalty as the cost of line rental is increasing. I would get out while you can - I think you need to ring them. Make sure you're aware of the best deals out there if you'll consider staying for a better deal.
    • fossman
    • By fossman 16th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    fossman
    Just been on the online chat.

I am on 38Mb fibre and my broadband price is going up by £1.25 per month. When my free fibre offer ends I'll be paying £37.95 per month.

I went all the way through to actually giving my 30 days notice and they still wouldn't really move on the price.

The best discount they would offer me was £2 a month so I managed to get the Fast Fibre package for £25 per month.

As my cabinet is fully subscribed I don't have the option of switching supplier so accepted the offer.
    Cashback earned
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

1,485Users online

Martin's Twitter