Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 11th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 6,668Posts
    • 11,450Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Do you eat dinner/tea at the same time every day?
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    Do you eat dinner/tea at the same time every day? 11th Oct 16 at 3:42 PM
    Perhaps you have a fixed routine with your partner and children and meals are at a set time.

Single, I'll generally have my tea at 4pm. but sometimes 5 if I'm running a little late that day.
    It is nexuses not nexi, dummy. And it's between you and me, not you and I.
Page 2
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 11th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 7,697 Posts
    • 11,230 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Depends on what time I get home from work,
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 11th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    Peter333
    Not 4pm no, as most of the time, we would both still working! (Or out.)

Usually half six to seven at night. We usually start cooking it after The Chase has been on.
    As of 25th October 2016, I am not participating in this site. Until MSE sorts out the issue with insidious trouble-makers, it's no longer a place I wish to be. I can't be bothered with the constant battle with trolls.

MSE is not a nice place to be at the moment, and hasn't been for a while now. So I'm outta here for the foreseeable future.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Oct 16, 10:23 PM
    • 13,737 Posts
    • 53,463 Thanks
    Judi
    I aim to have a meal on the table for 6pm.

Usually half six to seven at night. We usually start cooking it after The Chase has been on.
    I am usually eating mine towards the end of the Chase.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • catkins
    • By catkins 12th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 5,210 Posts
    • 10,825 Thanks
    catkins
    I dont get home from work until 6 so it's usually around 7.30pm. On my day off I can do something that takes a little longer so we eat around 7pm and on my uni day, I'm too tired so have to have a little nap first so can be up to 8pm.
    Even on weekends I don't start the prep until 6' unless I'm doing a roast and then it's a little earlier.
    I can't actually eat at a 'normal' time now, so it's hellish when I visit parents and they have dinner at 5pm.
    Originally posted by elisebutt65
    Didn't realise there was a "normal" time to eat an evening meal. Most posters here seem to eat very early.

I would not think of eating before 7pm as it is just too early. I don't work so can really get tea for just about any time.

When we eat out we don't eat until about 8.30 - 9pm
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • Paully232000
    • By Paully232000 12th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    Paully232000
    Didn't realise there was a "normal" time to eat an evening meal. Most posters here seem to eat very early.

I would not think of eating before 7pm as it is just too early. I don't work so can really get tea for just about any time.

When we eat out we don't eat until about 8.30 - 9pm
    Originally posted by catkins
    I am not sure there is a normal time. We eat at the time we do, 5.30-6pm because I hav a 3 and a 6 yr old, and the 3 yr old goes to bed at 6.30-7pm and I would rather not have her food and then ship her off to bed straight away. Plus I want us to all eat together, so it works.

Before we had children we mostly ate a few hours after getting home from work, so maybe about 7ish, and then , like you, we would normally book meals out for about 8ish. Now meals out, when they are, are at 5pm(ish) :-)
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 13,007 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I always try and get my tea eaten around 5ish. That gives it time to digest before I go out for a run around 7ish.

I have tried eating at around 7-8 but it is just too late and I'm still digesting it when I go to bed.

But to be fair I have changed my hours at work so that I start at 7:30 and work through till around 3:30 so that I have evenings free
    Much better than 9-5
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 12th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 6,668 Posts
    • 11,450 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    I don't believe there is a normal time as we are all different with varying schedules.

I dislike eating after 7 - unless it's a small snack - as it's too close to bedtime for me (10). 4 is a little early, though and I'm aiming for 5 from now on.
    It is nexuses not nexi, dummy. And it's between you and me, not you and I.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 12th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 5,210 Posts
    • 10,825 Thanks
    catkins
    If I eat before 7pm I just feel hungry again later. I don't go to bed until about midnight so no worries about my meal not being digested.

I understand people with children eating early and I think it's nice to sit down as a family and eat.

My parents eat at 6pm (literally on the dot) every day but to me that is really early
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 12th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    I dont get home from work until 6 so it's usually around 7.30pm. On my day off I can do something that takes a little longer so we eat around 7pm and on my uni day, I'm too tired so have to have a little nap first so can be up to 8pm.
    Even on weekends I don't start the prep until 6' unless I'm doing a roast and then it's a little earlier.
    I can't actually eat at a 'normal' time now, so it's hellish when I visit parents and they have dinner at 5pm.
    Originally posted by elisebutt65
    I don't think there's anything "normal" about childless adults eating dinner at teatime.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 56,019 Posts
    • 321,929 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I eat when I'm hungry, when I feel like it, multiple times a day some days.

Today I've just eaten for the first time today ... some days I eat 5x, some days I graze all day long, some days I "forget" to eat or simply don't have anything appealing enough to make me take the time and make the effort of microwaving something for 2 minutes.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 12th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 12,203 Posts
    • 22,866 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Normally 6:30-7ish during the week. I get in from work at about 6:15 and start cooking straight away.
    • Andypandyboy
    • By Andypandyboy 12th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 5,877 Thanks
    Andypandyboy
    I would say we normally eat at around 6.30pm if eating at home after work.

At weekends it is later. If we eat out and it is "Dinner" rather than a quick after work "tea" then we would usually book for 8pm or later.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 12th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 3,050 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Monday to Friday around 5:45 so that we can all eat together. Saturday ds eats around the same time, but we usually eat later and then on Sunday we usually have a roast dinner around 5ish.
    Emergency fund #16 £70/£1000
    Loan repayments: 16/60 Overpayment total: £25
    Check out my debt free diary 'A Pound Stretching Maternity' below:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

1,741Users online

Martin's Twitter