Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michailovic
    • By Michailovic 11th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Michailovic
    Courier Job Income Tax
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    Courier Job Income Tax 11th Oct 16 at 3:32 PM
    Not sure if posted in the correct board, feel free to move.

I am interested in a courier job at amazon through one motion logistics. They state that you earn £100/day and can work as many days as you want. They also offer to lease you a van at a cost of £186/week. I would be interested in working 5 days/week and hiring the van from them. This would leave me with an income of £314/week. Does anyone know if i would then pay income tax + national insurance on the gross £500 or net £314? Thanks
Page 1
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 11th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 7,562 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    Don't forget to minus the fuel costs. You could probably earn more in McDonalds with a lot less stress
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Paully232000
    • By Paully232000 11th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    Paully232000
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    Do you not need to figure insurance into that amount as well?
    I know it might not be a lot on its own per week, but when added to all the other costs, will take you to a bit below your £314/week before tax/NI
    • Michailovic
    • By Michailovic 11th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michailovic
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

The £186/week includes hire and insurance.

They reimburse us at 15p/mile of fuel, not great, but better than nothing.

Have spoke to a few people about this and no one seems certain :S
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 11th Oct 16, 5:01 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:01 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:01 PM

I am interested in a courier job at amazon through one motion logistics. They state that you earn £100/day and can work as many days as you want. They also offer to lease you a van at a cost of £186/week. I would be interested in working 5 days/week and hiring the van from them. This would leave me with an income of £314/week. Does anyone know if i would then pay income tax + national insurance on the gross £500 or net £314? Thanks
    Originally posted by Michailovic
    To answer that question -
    as a self-employed person you are assessed for tax and NI on your nett earnings (your profit) not the gross.
    • Michailovic
    • By Michailovic 11th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michailovic
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    Thanks for clearing that up general!
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 13,794 Posts
    • 7,301 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:00 PM

Originally posted by Michailovic
    I would avoid it like the plague.

I know of several people who have done this job in the past and its a horror story. Ridiculously long hours, ridiculous expectations and relentless.

They pay you £100 a day rather than an hourly rate because you'll have to work all the hours god sends a day to get the work done that they expect you to do.
    Regards

Paul
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,424Posts Today

7,186Users online

Martin's Twitter