Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SYNCHRONIC
    • By SYNCHRONIC 11th Oct 16, 3:12 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    SYNCHRONIC
    First Universal Credit appointment - want to registered as self-employed/start up co.
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:12 PM
    First Universal Credit appointment - want to registered as self-employed/start up co. 11th Oct 16 at 3:12 PM
    Hi there

I've got my first initial interview at the job centre as part of the new Universal Credit scheme (was on Job Seekers about 2-3 years ago and now it's all changed).

But they are giving me the info as if I were a job seeker (asking me to create a Universal Job Match account etc..)

The thing is, I would like to go on a self-employed/company owner, with a new start-up company that will likely not make any money for atleast 6 months or so. I hear there is a grace period of 1 year for new businesses, and that there is the possibility of getting onto the Enterprise Scheme and gettingextra funding through that.

I'm just wondering what way is best to go about this, should I assemble a business plan/document to bring in? I have not registered my comapany yet as I cannot afford the registration fee until I get my first payment from Universal Credit. The company is a multi-media production company, creating music, computer games, visuals/film, and soundtracks, along with other stuff that goes into them (graphic design/cover artwork/website design etc...)

The main goal will be to create a few completed projects, and if that's sucessful, continue on that trajectory and hire some programmers and other people to help out. And if it doesn't go so well, then offer all the components/services that those media projects require as a freelancer for other companies and peoples projects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Alex
Page 1
    • baza52
    • By baza52 11th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,901 Thanks
    baza52
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    if you cant afford the £15 to register a company how are you planning to buy the equipment needed for creating everything?
    • SYNCHRONIC
    • By SYNCHRONIC 11th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SYNCHRONIC
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    I already have the majority of the equipment and software needed, and have been working on all these things for about 10 years, but not full-time in a business sense.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 11th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    Registering with UJM is a compulsory part (or rather will be once you sign one) of your 'Claimant Commitment.' It isn't, however, compulsory to give JCP advisors access to this, as some advisors incorrectly state.

You can become a sole trader ie no fee for this - you just register with HMRC as self-employed within months of starting to trade.

Yes, within UC (the UC5 guide for Self-Employed UC claimants is helpful) there is a 12 month grace period for new start ups.

I think a business plan is best to show an advisor re some evidence of your plans. I think the NEA is still available at present (although there have been some horror stories on here re how difficult it is to get approval from the DWP) - although there's talk of its abolition/changing in the Autumn Statement, next month.

Good Luck with going self-employed.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • NYM
    • By NYM 11th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    NYM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    This might be a good guide...

Universal Credit & Self Employment
    • SYNCHRONIC
    • By SYNCHRONIC 12th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SYNCHRONIC
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    Thanks for the advice guys, went in today and they had to cancel my claim since I was not "actively seeking employment"... and told me to go onto Job Seekers Allowance (seems a bit ironic, although I thought that Universal Credit was the new catch-all system, including JSA).

They tried to make me sign on my application that I was a company director or in a limited liability partnership, even though I have yet to register my company with HMRC... after I'd already insisted that would not be the truth as of now until a few weeks (and they told me I had filled in the application wrong for writing that I have not made any earnings as self-employed, even though I havent, I have just been "working" on my self-employed project for free out of my own time).

Hopefully it goes smoother than this initial hiccup haha... Cheers!
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 12th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    That's not quite correct (although I can see why they did that - as if you are self-employed at the time you apply, you do not meet one of the Gateway conditions for Universal Credit).

They've also therefore told you that you are not entitled to claim UC on the wrong basis.

In any JSA claim, make sure you apply for backdating to the date you claimed UC online (and cite the DWP error).

At your first appointment following your JSA claim, make sure you take in some notes detailing job search/updating CV/covering letter and so on...otherwise they may refuse to process that claim too.
    Last edited by Mersey; 12-10-2016 at 2:43 PM.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin