Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsJam
    • By MrsJam 11th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 65Thanks
    MrsJam
    Auto drive wanting bank statements after car accident
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    Auto drive wanting bank statements after car accident 11th Oct 16 at 2:13 PM
    Hi

Hope this is the right forum for this.

Would appreciate some advice please.

My husband, a taxi driver was involved in a minor car accident in July, the other party admitted fault.

It's his own car but he is self employed working for a local taxi firm.

Anyway, the firm he works for told him to go with their insurance and they would give him one of their cars while his was repaired so he would still be able to work.

Fast forward to today and Autodrive have sent him a letter demanding bank and credit card statements and copies of his tax returns for the last three years.

We don't know why they would need them and if we are required to send them these personal documents.

If anybody can shed any light on this id be grateful.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 30,241 Posts
    • 14,327 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    You need to ask them why they need these docs.

As they are an accident management company maybe they arranged a credit hire car?? Or they are pursuing lost earnings for him??

Until he asks them why they want these docs no one can shed the light!
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 11th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 30,009 Posts
    • 15,955 Thanks
    kingstreet
    To calculate loss of earnings, based on previous years'?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Mungo76
    • By Mungo76 11th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Mungo76
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    I'm presuming auto drive have provided him with a hire car, presumably at a hefty price to the other party.

They now need to prove impecuniosity - i.e. that he didn't the funds to either repair or replace his car, mitigating/keeping his costs down.

He'll need to send the documents to prove he didn't have the funds.
    • MrsJam
    • By MrsJam 11th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    MrsJam
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

There was no loss of earnings, Autodrive paid for another private hire vehicle from his place of work. Think he was without his own car for about 3 weeks, so looks like they may have put in an hefty sum to the other insurers.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 30,241 Posts
    • 14,327 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    In that case the contract he entered into when getting the services of automotive will have included him providing help/ docs etc in the event they need them to get the liable third party to pay their charges.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,108Posts Today

6,202Users online

Martin's Twitter