Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 11th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 2,852Posts
    • 5,197Thanks
    jackyann
    possible flood risk
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    possible flood risk 11th Oct 16 at 12:53 PM
    Hello, have searched and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, hoping someone on this board knows.

A close relative had a 'near flooding experience' with water in the garden but not entering the house. He has not claimed on his insurance, as only clean up of the garden was needed. He has now installed gates at the relevant entrance, which will limit the flow of water into his property, and has laid in a supply of sandbags.

He did this as a 'common sense' measure. However, an article I heard on the radio this morning suggested that if you take 'flood risk' measures such as these you must inform your insurance company, who will then consider you a higher risk. This sounds a bit scaremongering to me, but of course I am concerned - I thought I could ask on here without adding worry to him.

He is not in a flood risk area as such, this appear to be local (mis) management of run-off from fields & road (can explain more if needed)

Thanks
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 11th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    Your close relative needs to be careful when applying or renewing their insurance.
    If the property has flooded (and insurers don't just mean the structure of the home when they say property), this needs to be disclosed when asked the direct question about flooding.

As a warning to you, Insurers are very good at finding out about these events, and employ very good loss adjusters too. If you don't disclose it, and the insurer finds out during investigation following a claim; you'll find yourself with a voided policy (which also then has to be disclosed) and no cover for the event you've claimed for.

Warning aside; it sounds like your relative has taken best endeavours to protect their property against future events and it sounds like this was perhaps a one off event due to mismanagement of run offs. Were a claim to arise as a result of the mismanagement, the insurer may look to recover costs against the owner of the fields, as long as negligence can be proven.

You only need to disclose the flood risk measures if asked by the insurer, however you need to disclose the flooding regardless.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 11th Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    Thank you, that is very helpful
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,003Posts Today

5,757Users online

Martin's Twitter