Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Catlady082
    • By Catlady082 11th Oct 16, 12:44 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Catlady082
    New carpet - advice please!
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:44 PM
    New carpet - advice please! 11th Oct 16 at 12:44 PM
    I had a new carpet fitted from a local independent store about 6 weeks ago at a cost of around £1400. The shop arranged for their fitters to actually fit the carpet and I had to pay them on the day - this was written on my invoice.
    They fitted the carpet really well. As I was getting a new sofa delivered in a few weeks, I asked if they had any advice on not making dents in my carpet from my existing sofa. The fitter said just use some offcuts from the new carpet under each leg of the sofa, and straight away he cut me 8 small squares of carpet and placed them under the legs of the sofa and chair.
    This morning my old sofa has been taken away and to my horror the back of these carpet offcuts has left yellow marks on my brand new cream carpet.
    I've rung the shop and the owner is coming out to have a look in a couple of days. I've taken photos but just wanted to pre-empt his visit and get some advice so I know exactly what I can say and what my rights are.
    Thanks so much!
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 11th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 14,611 Posts
    • 19,653 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    Which way round did you put them?

I would assume they were supposed to go fluffy side down, so they sit carpet to carpet, then the sofa leg goes on the backing??
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 11th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    Which way round did you put them?

I would assume they were supposed to go fluffy side down, so they sit carpet to carpet, then the sofa leg goes on the backing??
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    I guess that will be what the firm say, but what if the sofa is such that you can see the legs, then putting them up that way would look wrong.

OP are the legs visible or hidden?
    Live and let live, love and not hate, sing and be joyous, respect all mankind and natures gifts
    • Catlady082
    • By Catlady082 11th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Catlady082
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    He put them there himself and put them backing side down next to the carpet, if that makes sense. I couldn't work out at first why this yellow mark was so square but the back of the carpet offcuts is quite yellow and has rubbed off.
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 11th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    Hey Catlady, I would not be pleased if i was in your position, I hope the carpet firm accept what you say and either clean the carpet or replace the whole lot.
    Best of luck.
    Live and let live, love and not hate, sing and be joyous, respect all mankind and natures gifts
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 12th Oct 16, 1:03 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:03 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:03 AM
    during the course of the 6 weeks there was nothing stopping you from replacing these off cuts with something more suitable for the job in question, i understand where your coming from however i have to say if i had a £1400 carpet laid i would not be happy with $hitty off cuts on show or in place.
    you use the term "rubbed off" am not sure how it would rub if the sofa was stationary so when the guy comes to look i would not use the term rubbed off.
    just my opinion, i hope you get it sorted
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 12th Oct 16, 1:17 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:17 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 1:17 AM
    I don't understand how it has stained ? when a carpet is rolled up it's always very tight and the backing is against the pile .
    They can be rolled this way for month's at a time with the full weight of a 100 sqm roll on itself .
    In honesty this is why I always assist people with furniture , but never take control as my insurance simply does not cover me for things like this .
    They should never have advised you to do it , and you should never have taken the advice would be my point of view I'm afraid , they are carpet fitters , that is all .
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 8,634 Posts
    • 5,660 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    Have you tried cleaning the area, either simply vacuuming or with some carper cleaner?
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 17th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    The new sofas will cover the problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

223Posts Today

3,064Users online

Martin's Twitter